About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Overview of mood disorders|| Current and historical views|
Biological, psychological and sociocultural models of mood disorders
|Tuesday||Depressive disorders||Definition, types, causes, symptoms and treatment of depressive disorders|
|Wednesday||Dysthymia and cylothymia|| Symptoms and treatment of dysthymia and cyclothymia|
Depressive disorders as a spectrum
Transitions between mild mania and mild depression
|Thursday||Bipolar disorder||Definition, types, causes, symptoms and treatment of bipolar disorders|
|Friday||Suicide||Definitions, risk factors, underlying causes, triggers, treatment and prevention|
1. Defining and Understanding Mood Disorders
When someone has abnormal feelings that affect his or her life, he or she might be suffering from a mood disorder. In this lesson, we'll look closer at the types of mood disorders and the different theoretical views of them.
2. Depressive Disorders: Definition, Types, Causes & Treatment
What is depression? In this lesson, we'll look closer at depressive disorders, including the diagnostic criteria, causes, and treatments of major depressive disorder.
3. Dysthymia and Cyclothymia: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
What happens if someone feels depressed but doesn't meet the criteria for major depressive disorder? Or if someone seems to have a light case of bipolar disorder? In this lesson, we'll look closer at the mood disorders dysthymia and cyclothymia.
4. What Is Bipolar Disorder? - Symptoms & Treatment
Studying the mood disorder called bipolar disorder can help you understand how persons with this disorder cycle through extreme moods of depression and mania. Explore bipolar disorder in this lesson, and test your understanding with a quiz.
5. What Is Suicide? - Definition, Triggers, Underlying Causes & Prevention
Why would a person take their own life? And what can be done to prevent it? In this lesson, we'll look at the reasons for, triggers of, and prevention of suicide.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Research Methods Lesson Plans
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- The Biological Model of Abnormality Lesson Plans
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Diathesis-Stress Model Lesson Plans
- Clinical Assessment in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders Lesson Plans
- Stress Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders Lesson Plans
- Substance Use Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Psychotic Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Life-Span Development Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Factitious Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans