About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other abnormal psychology work.
- Identify the mood disorders of abnormal psychology concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our abnormal psychology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about mood disorders of abnormal psychology and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the definition of mood disorders, causes, common symptoms and treatments, or any other mood disorders of abnormal psychology topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their psychology learning
- Prefer learning psychology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their mood disorders of abnormal psychology unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in abnormal psychology
- Don't have access to their psychology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about mood disorders of abnormal psychology simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about mood disorders of abnormal psychology on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Define mood disorders.
- Examine the types, causes and treatment of depressive disorders.
- Describe the symptoms and treatment of cyclothymia and dysthymia.
- Identify the types and causes of bipolar disorder.
- Learn what triggers suicidal thoughts and understand how to prevent them.
1. Defining and Understanding Mood Disorders
When someone has abnormal feelings that affect his or her life, he or she might be suffering from a mood disorder. In this lesson, we'll look closer at the types of mood disorders and the different theoretical views of them.
2. Depressive Disorders: Definition, Types, Causes & Treatment
What is depression? In this lesson, we'll look closer at depressive disorders, including the diagnostic criteria, causes, and treatments of major depressive disorder.
3. Dysthymia and Cyclothymia: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
What happens if someone feels depressed but doesn't meet the criteria for major depressive disorder? Or if someone seems to have a light case of bipolar disorder? In this lesson, we'll look closer at the mood disorders dysthymia and cyclothymia.
4. What Is Bipolar Disorder? - Symptoms & Treatment
Studying the mood disorder called bipolar disorder can help you understand how persons with this disorder cycle through extreme moods of depression and mania. Explore bipolar disorder in this lesson, and test your understanding with a quiz.
5. What Is Suicide? - Definition, Triggers, Underlying Causes & Prevention
Why would a person take their own life? And what can be done to prevent it? In this lesson, we'll look at the reasons for, triggers of, and prevention of suicide.
6. What Is Dysthymia? - Treatment, Symptoms & Definition
In this lesson you will learn what Dysthymic Disorder is and the methods used to treat it. You will also learn the difference between Dysthymia and Major Depression and when it is appropriate to give a diagnosis of Double Depression.
7. What Is Hypomania? - Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
Did you know that hypomania is commonly experienced by people with bipolar disorder II? Learn more about hypomania, its symptoms, and how it is treated. Then, test your knowledge with a quiz.
8. What Is Major Depression? - Definition, Symptoms & Causes
Did you know that depression affects an estimated five to eight percent of the U.S. population? Learn more about major depression, its symptoms, and causes. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
9. What Is Moderate Depression? - Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
Did you know that depression affects about 19 million individuals in the United States? Learn more about moderate depression, its symptoms, and treatment.
10. What is Postpartum Depression? - Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
Postpartum depression affects about 14% of women who give birth each year. The following lesson provides a definition of postpartum depression, symptoms and common treatment suggestions for the issue.
11. What is Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)? - Symptoms & Treatment
Explore the causes, prevalence, and symptoms of seasonal affective disorder illustrated with a real-life example. Learn treatment options that are effective for alleviating this disorder, then test your knowledge with a quiz.
12. Dysphoria: Definition & Meaning
In this lesson, you'll learn about dysphoria, its various manifestations, and how it accompanies both mental illness and medical conditions. Afterwards, you can test yourself on your new knowledge.
13. Anger Issues: Symptoms & Causes
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of 'anger' and 'anger management', as well as the symptoms and causes of anger. Following the lesson is a brief quiz to test what you have learned.
14. Anger Management Techniques & Therapy
In this lesson you will learn the definition of anger, aggression, and anger management. You will learn techniques of anger management and types of therapy that assist individuals with anger management. Following the lesson will be a brief quiz.
15. Borderline Personality Disorder & Relationships
In this lesson you will learn the definition and symptoms of borderline personality disorder, as well as how having borderline personality disorder affects relationships. Following the lesson will be a brief quiz to test your knowledge.
16. Depression & Anger Relationship
In this lesson, you will learn the definitions of depression and anger and how they relate on different levels. Following the lesson will be a brief quiz to test your new knowledge.
17. The Link Between Boredom & Depression
In this lesson, you will learn the definitions of boredom and depression, and how each of them can cause the other to occur. You will learn about apathetic boredom as well. There will be examples to further your engagement and understanding. Following the lesson will be a brief quiz.
18. Coping Skills for Anger Management
In this lesson, learn how anger issues can suddenly surface in your life. Afterwards, identify healthy coping skills that you can utilize when experiencing these sudden outbursts of anger.
19. Emotional Dysregulation Disorder
In this lesson, we'll talk about a condition known as emotional dysregulation disorder, which involves difficulty managing emotions. We will discuss symptoms and other psychological disorders where emotional dysregulation disorder may appear.
20. What is an Emotional Disorder? - Definition & Types
This lesson provides a general definition of emotional disorder and discusses the different types of such disorders. Emotional disorders are broken down into two broad categories - mood and anxiety disorders - and the sub-types of these disorders are also defined.
21. Symptoms of Chronic Depression & Anxiety
In this lesson, we'll talk about the definitions of chronic depression and anxiety as well as the symptoms that accompany these disorders. We'll also cover some of the differences and similarities between the two conditions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Research Methods in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- The Biological Model of Abnormality: Tutoring Solution
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Diathesis-Stress Model: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Assessment: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Stress Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Substance Use Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Psychotic Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Life-Span Development Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Factitious Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution