About This Chapter
Mood & Stress Disorders Affecting the Aging Population - Chapter Summary
There is a full range of disorders related to both mood and stress, and this chapter examines those disorders more thoroughly in relation to an aging population. Within these lessons, you will go through the definitions of some of the most common disorders, and you will study causes and treatment options.
This chapter, like all the chapters we offer, has been designed by experts. Not only do our instructors possess years of experience within their fields of expertise, but they are also seasoned educators who know how to teach you this information in a way that makes sense. Every lesson contains the most pertinent information with absolutely no fluff, because we know you don't have the time to waste. Once you complete this chapter, you will possess the ability to:
- Check out the symptoms and types of different disorders
- Define the causes of depressive disorders and connected treatments
- Examine various perspectives on stress disorders
1. Defining and Understanding Mood Disorders
When someone has abnormal feelings that affect his or her life, he or she might be suffering from a mood disorder. In this lesson, we'll look closer at the types of mood disorders and the different theoretical views of them.
2. Depressive Disorders: Definition, Types, Causes & Treatment
What is depression? In this lesson, we'll look closer at depressive disorders, including the diagnostic criteria, causes, and treatments of major depressive disorder.
3. Stress Disorders: Definition and Perspectives
Everyone has to deal with stress, but some people do not manage their stress in a healthy way. In this lesson, we will look more closely at psychological disorders related to stress, including ways that people react to and manage stress.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 108: Psychology of Adulthood and Aging course
- Introduction to Adult Development and Aging
- Personality & Aging
- Health of the Aging Population
- The Aging Brain and Nervous System
- Effects of Aging on Skin & Body Build
- Effects of Aging on the Sensory System
- Effects of Aging on the Circulatory and Respiratory Systems
- The Aging Endocrine and Reproductive Systems
- Chronic Conditions of the Aging Population
- Changes to Memory & Attention with Age
- Cognitive Development & Aging
- Overview of Intelligence, Wisdom & Creativity
- Mental Health and Lifespan Development Disorders
- Cognitive, Behavioral & Psychological Assessments
- Age-Related Anxiety Disorders
- Substance Abuse Among Aging Populations
- Cognitive Disorders Related to Aging
- Treatment Methods for Psychological Disorders in Adults
- Relationships in Adulthood
- Career Changes Over the Lifespan
- Retirement and Leisure in Adulthood
- Overview of Death, Dying & Bereavement
- Studying for Psychology 108