About This Chapter
Motion in Physics - Chapter Summary
Our instructors will define motion, its laws, and the vital part it plays in the study of physics. Other ways to describe motion, including velocity and speed, are explained. You will also review the differences between acceleration, velocity and speed.
The important physics concept of momentum is also covered in this chapter. Once you have read through these lessons, you should be able to do the following:
- Calculate acceleration using a formula
- Define force as it is used in physics
- Understand how the law of conservation of momentum affects colliding objects
- Explain the parallelogram of forces
- Describe how stability and center of gravity are related
Before or after you have watched the video lessons, take the quizzes and chapter tests to see how well you understand this subject. You can use the printable transcripts that accompany each lesson as an offline study guide. Contact one of our instructors if you have additional questions. These study materials are accessible to you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
1. What is Motion? - Definition & Laws
Motion is the act of moving and plays a huge role in the study of physics. This lesson walks through important terms and the laws of motion that guide the study of motion.
2. State of Motion and Velocity
An object's state of motion describes how it is moving. But there are many ways we can describe motion, such as speed and velocity. This motion is relative to other objects around it, such as the earth, the sun, and even other stars in our galaxy.
3. What is Acceleration? - Definition and Formula
This lesson describes the difference between speed, velocity and acceleration. Examples are used to help you understand the concept of acceleration and learn to calculate acceleration with a mathematical formula.
4. Force in Physics: Definition & Examples
Physical forces are all around us. Learn the defining characteristics of forces in physics, look at some examples, and test your understanding with a short quiz.
5. What is Momentum? - Definition, Equation, Units & Principle
People talk about momentum all the time; now you can discover what that word really means. Then learn about the principle of conservation of momentum and what it has to do with objects colliding.
6. Understanding Parallelogram of Forces
To find the resultant of two forces, you can use the parallelogram of forces law. In this lesson, learn about why the parallelogram of forces works and how to apply it.
7. Stability & Center of Gravity
Discover what stability means and why center of gravity is so important to understanding it. Then learn about the different states of stability and how to tell the difference between them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NDA Exam Preparation & Study Guide course
- About the NDA Exam
- Algebra Concepts
- Advanced Algebra Concepts
- Solving Matrices & Determinants
- Trigonometry Concepts
- Geometry & Linear Equations
- Analytic Geometry
- Functions, Limits & Continuity
- Derivative Rules
- Calculations & Applications of Derivatives
- Integral Calculus
- Differential Equations & Applications
- Scalars & Vectors in Algebra
- Visualizing Statistics
- Probability Concepts in Math
- Grammar and Usage
- Improving Reading Comprehension
- Measurements in Physics
- Basics of Work, Power & Energy
- Understanding Heat Transfer
- Sound Waves
- Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- Electric Currents & Power
- Scientific Technology, Machines & Tools
- The Atom & Structure of Elements
- Chemical Properties of Elements & Substances
- Chemical Symbols, Formulas & Reactions
- Qualities of Living Organisms
- Health Science Basics
- Solar System & Eclipses
- Achievements of Famous Scientists
- Indian History
- Overview of Major World History Events
- World Government Types
- The Earth
- Earth's Oceans, Atmosphere & Climate
- Regional Geography of South Asia
- Modern Day Events in India
- NDA Exam Preparation & Study Guide Flashcards