About This Chapter
Motivating & Evaluating Virtual Teams - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons will show your managers how they can motivate employees on their virtual teams and how to provide feedback on their performances. Managers will examine the following:
- Strategies for motivating members of virtual teams
- Employee appraisals and evaluations in a virtual environment
- Processes for providing feedback
- Strategies for dealing with employees whose performance is not adequate
You can arrange for your managerial team to watch these corporate training lessons together, which allows for the sharing of ideas and experiences, or on their own via a computer or mobile device. There are quizzes at the end of each lesson and a final chapter exam that allows you to test their knowledge.
How It Helps
- Improves motivation: Short video lessons offer pointers to your managers about how to motivate virtual employees in order to develop a productive work team.
- Defines evaluation procedures: By watching these lessons, managerial staff will learn the best methods for providing regular employee appraisals and continual feedback.
- Ensures consistency in personnel matters: Managers who study these lessons will be on the same page regarding what to do about virtual employees who are not performing up to expectations.
After watching this series of lessons, your managers should be able to:
- Implement techniques for motivating teams and individuals who work remotely
- Describe company procedures for evaluating the performance of virtual employees
- Implement policies for handling personnel issues, such as an employee who consistently produces sub-par work
1. Strategies for Motivating Virtual Work Teams
Motivating virtual teams requires planning and focus. Use the strategies provided in this lesson to encourage and strengthen your team, while increasing their interaction with each other.
2. Virtual Team Appreciation: Rewards & Recognition
Although many employees consider remote work a desirable arrangement, remote managers must maintain a sense of team cohesiveness. This lesson explores how to use employee recognition in remote teams.
3. Employee Evaluation in a Virtual Environment
Providing a quality employee evaluation in a virtual environment can be challenging. However, using the suggestions in this lesson, you can effectively evaluate the work your employees are doing.
4. Identifying Potential in Remote Employees
When building a remote team, the remote manager has a significant responsibility with regard to the selection of team members who are most likely to succeed in this alternative environment. This lesson explores several practical steps to accomplish this.
5. Providing Feedback to Virtual Team Members
Feedback is important in any setting, but it is even more critical in the virtual workplace. This lesson provides remote managers with guidance about the content, channels, and follow-up strategies for providing feedback to remote employees.
6. Mitigating Personnel Issues in a Virtual Environment
Virtual environments can pose a challenge when addressing personnel issues. Although a manager may be separated from employees physically, written communication can effectively accomplish the job of coaching, reprimanding, and resolving personnel issues.
7. Practical Application: Moderating Personnel Issues in a Virtual Environment
Personnel issues can arise in any workplace, but the personnel issues that come up on virtual teams can be especially difficult to manage. In this practical application, you'll reflect on how to moderate personnel issues in a virtual environment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.