About This Chapter
Motor Skill Development - Chapter Summary
Re-examine the development of children's fine and gross motor skills and take another look at what's involved in the affective, cognitive and psychomotor domains of physical education. Lessons in this chapter can also help you review some of the activities used to develop students' motor performance and sports skills, along with considerations for selecting instructional equipment and sequences to match students' developmental levels. You'll look at examples of locomotor and nonlocomotor skills as well. Topics of instruction are listed below:
- Fine and gross motor skills
- Domains of motor learning
- Motor development activities
- Body movement components
The lessons come in the format of entertaining videos or texts. You'll also find links to supplementary text lessons and self-assessment quizzes, all of which can be completed at your own pace.
1. What Are Gross Motor Skills in Children? - Development, Definition & Examples
Gross motor skills allow children to control those body movements that require the use of large muscles in the legs, arms, and torso. Learn more about gross motor skills from examples and test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. What Are Fine Motor Skills in Children? - Development, Definition & Examples
Think of toddlers at a daycare, or the young actors in the movie 'The Kindergarten Cop.' What comes to mind? Is it small children doing arts and crafts or possibly running around with scissors? These are examples of fine motor skills, which children should develop around this age.
3. Domains of Motor Learning in Children
How do we learn to move? How do we learn to do things like play sports? In this lesson, we'll talk about the stages of motor development in children. We'll discuss the basic stages of motor development, from beginning to learn a motor movement to mastering it.
4. Promoting Motor Performance Through Skills, Prompts & Cues
Developing motor performance in children is important. This lesson discusses how students' motor performance can be promoted through using instructional prompts, cues, and focusing on activities that help students with their gross and fine motor skills.
5. Components of Body Movements: Locomotor, Nonlocomotor & Manipulative
Fundamental body movements are the building blocks necessary for physical activities like sports and dance. This lesson explains the components of three fundamental body movements: locomotor, nonlocomotor, and manipulative.
6. Developing Specialized Skills for Sports
In this lesson we will explore motor skills and the different ways they translate into sports skills. In addition, we explore the different categories of movements that sports skills.
7. Selecting Developmentally Appropriate Activities for Complex Movements
As a physical education teacher, it is really important for you to choose movement activities that meet your students' needs. This lesson discusses what it means to choose developmentally appropriate activities for complex movements.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Health & Physical Education (615): Practice & Study Guide course
- Mental & Emotional Health
- Personal Health & Wellness
- Relationships & Communication
- Types & Stages of Human Development
- Human Body Organs & Systems
- Sexual Health
- Diet, Nutrition & Health Problems
- Drugs & Substance Abuse
- Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- Basics of Physical Education
- Sports, Physical Activity & Fitness
- Health & Physical Education Classroom Management
- Physical Education Curriculum & Assessments
- Professionalism for Health & Physical Education Teachers
- GACE Health & Physical Education Flashcards