About This Chapter
Movement, Control & Coordination of the Body - Chapter Summary
This chapter includes lessons on movement, control, and coordination of the body. There are discussions covering fibrous joints, depolarization, different types of reflexes, and the function of neurons. You'll also receive an introduction to the endocrine system. After completing the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- Discuss the skeletal and muscular systems, including how many bones are in the human body
- Describe different types of joints and how they are categorized
- Explain the differences between the central and peripheral nervous systems
- Detail how neurons send signals throughout the body
- Explore different types of reflexes
- Explain the correlation between sensory neurons and your five senses
- Discuss the endocrine system, including the endocrine gland
These brief and engaging lessons help you easily understand the topics presented, and our expert instructors provide plenty of examples. You can review all the lessons in order, or just look at the ones that cover the topics you need to review. A brief multiple-choice quiz is available for each lesson to test your knowledge, and the quizzes have links back to specific topics for further review.
1. Skeletal System and Muscular System
Do you know how many bones are in the human body? Check out this video lesson to uncover the answer, as well as understand the role and importance of the skeletal and muscular systems.
2. Joints: Where Bones Connect and Move
If you didn't have any joints, you wouldn't be able bend down to tie your shoes or throw a ball. Joints are found where the bones of your skeleton meet. Learn about the different types of joints and how they differ in how much they let you move.
3. Types of Joint Movement & Tissue Structure and Function
Find out how your joints are categorized. You'll learn about the synovial, cartilaginous, and fibrous joints as well as diarthrosis, synarthrosis, and amphiarthrosis.
4. The Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems
Did you know that hammerhead sharks and platypuses share a special type of sensory neuron that humans and most other animals don't have? In this lesson, you'll find out what that sensory neuron and a whole lot of others can do. You'll also learn how the nervous system is organized and the differences between the central and peripheral nervous systems.
5. The Structure and Function of Neurons
In this video lesson, you'll learn about neurons, which are specialized cells in the nervous system. Check out how far neurons can send signals throughout the body and how depolarization is much like 'the wave' at a football game.
6. Reflex: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about reflexes in the human body. Different types of reflexes will be discussed and examples will be provided when appropriate. Finally you will be able to test your knowledge of the content by taking the quiz.
7. Sensory Neurons: Definition & Function
In this video, you'll learn about sensory neurons and how they give rise to your five senses. Also, you'll explore the brain's role in processing transmissions from sensory neurons.
8. Hormones: Definition, Function & Intro to the Endocrine System
This lesson introduces the endocrine system and provides a brief overview of each endocrine gland. It also provides the definition of hormones and describes their general function inside the body.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the BITSAT Exam - Biology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Biological Diversity in the Living World
- The Cell: The Basic Unit of Life
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Biomolecules & Enzymes
- Genetics & DNA
- Digestive & Excretory Systems in Humans
- Respiratory System Overview
- Body Fluids & Circulation
- Human Reproduction & Development
- Overview of Plant Structure & Function
- Photosynthesis & Respiration
- Plant Reproduction Overview
- Plant Growth & Movement
- Evolution Basics
- Ecology Overview
- Biodiversity & Environmental Issues
- Relationship Between Biology & Human Welfare
- Biotechnology & Its Applications
- BITSAT Exam - Biology Flashcards