About This Chapter
MTEL Adult Basic Education: Basic Algebraic Concepts - Chapter Summary
If you're anticipating the prospect of teaching basic algebraic concepts to adult learners, utilize this chapter to prepare for the MTEL Adult Basic Education examination. Included are text and video lessons that focus on systems of equations, the interpretation of graphs and tables, and the graphing of linear functions. Discover how to write the formula for an exponential function and learn more about the usefulness of a Cartesian plane as you advance through the chapter. Upon completion, you could know how to:
- Identify various types of patterns
- Calculate the answers to one- and two-step equations
- Define and solve systems of equations
- Utilize graphs and tables
- Recognize the parts and properties of graphs
- Teach students about linear functions
- Provide examples of quadratic equations
- Solve an exponential function
- Assess adult students' knowledge of basic algebra
The text and video lessons are concise as well as fun. Clicking the timeline link under the videos will reveal their main topics. You can also stop, pause and replay the videos at your convenience. Receive personalized support interactively by asking an expert about this chapter's topics. Use the knowledge you accumulate to ace the short quizzes that are included with each lesson. The more familiar you become with basic algebraic concepts, the more prepared you could be for these kinds of questions on the MTEL Adult Basic Education examination.
1. Identifying & Extending Different Types of Patterns
In this lesson, we will look at different ways patterns present themselves in the world around us. We will take a look at how to identify patterns and how to extend patterns and use this in some real-world examples.
2. How to Solve One-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
Word problems may be considered the most evil math invention ever, but never fear! Just watch this video lesson and you will know how to methodically translate these word problems into simple math and then to solve it.
3. How to Solve Multi-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems like a pro. Learn how to setup your problem, write your equations and then solve your equations to find your answer.
4. What is a System of Equations?
So what happens if we want to compare more than one equation? Welcome to a 'system' of equations! Learn what one is, how to solve them and when they come up in real life.
5. How Do I Use a System of Equations?
There are a few classic algebra word problems, such as the one about two trains traveling at different speeds. In this lesson, you'll learn how to take a word problem and convert it into the system of equations that will allow you to find the answer using either substitution or elimination.
6. Using Tables and Graphs in the Real World
We use tables and graphs in algebra as ways to visually show an equation or function. But do we really use these in the real world? Is it that important to learn about tables and graphs? Find out in this video lesson.
7. What Are the Different Parts of a Graph?
Being able to read a graph isn't just vital for an algebra class. Graphs and charts are used everywhere! We'll take a crash course on the basic x/y plane used in algebra and the fundamental vocab you need.
8. Graphs, Properties & the Concept of Change
Graphs are used in many different fields. They are used to show the relationship between variables. In this lesson, we will investigate how graphs can visually represent changes.
9. What is a Linear Function? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the key identifying mark of linear functions. You'll also learn how to graph them with just two points and how you can use the graph to easily find your answers.
10. What is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to learn that quadratic equations are an important part of the world we live in. We sometimes even make use of them for our entertainment! Watch this video lesson to learn more about these equations.
11. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
12. Assessing Algebra Concepts in Adults
This lesson plan provides strategies for assessing adult basic education (ABE) students in algebra. It discusses basic andragogical approaches and frameworks and give examples of algebra assessments.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Adult Basic Education (55): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Grammar & Mechanics
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: The Writing Process
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Literary Genres & Devices
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Reading Comprehension
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: English as a Second Language
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Communication & Linguistics
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Number Sense
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Geometry & Measurement
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Analyzing & Using Data
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: American History to 1914
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: America in the 1900s
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Early World History Overview
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Worldwide Political & Economic Shifts
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: American Government
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Principles of Geography
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Life Science Concepts
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Human Body Systems
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Physical Science Principles
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Scientific Inquiry
- MTEL Adult Basic Education Flashcards