About This Chapter
MTEL Adult Basic Education: Geometry and Measurement - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will help you fully understand geometric concepts in preparation for your exam, including units of measurement. Learn more about perimeter, area, volume, circumference, rectangles, geometric shapes, complex figures and graphs. You could become prepared to:
- Graph geometric formulas
- Recognize transformations, parallel and perpendicular lines
- Define and describe various shapes
- Similarity, symmetry and the reflexive property of congruence
- Understand Euclidian geometry, important theorems and equations
- Utilize units of measurement
- Plot points and define spheres
- Read and interpret scale drawings
- Assess understanding of geometric concepts in adults
Knowledgeable instructors walk you through each main point to ensure your complete understanding. Use the theorems and equations presented to fully prepare yourself for the MTEL Adult Basic Education exam.
1. Standard Units of Measurement for Length, Weight, Time & Capacity
Watch this video lesson to learn how to recognize the various units of measurement for length, weight, time and volume. Learn to recognize both U.S. units and metric units.
2. What is Perimeter? - Definition & Formula
In mathematics, the perimeter is the distance around a two-dimensional shape. The formula for finding the perimeter of certain shapes will be discussed in this lesson, and there will be some examples to help you understand how to calculate the perimeter.
3. Differentiating Between Area & Volume
In this lesson, we will examine the basic differences between area and volume. We will go over examples of each and learn how to solve for each in different scenarios.
4. Spheres: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the surface area and volume of spheres. Learn the formulas and measurements you need to solve problems and discover how to identify spheres in the real world.
5. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
6. Area of Complex Figures
Finding the area of shapes isn't always as simple as it is with squares and rectangles. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the area of complex figures. This includes finding the area of unusual shapes and finding the area of parts of shapes.
7. Measuring the Area of a Rectangle: Formula & Examples
Look around you, and you see rectangles all over the place. And if you see paint, carpet, or anything that covers a rectangular area, you can be sure that someone has measured the area of the rectangle. Watch this video lesson to learn more.
8. Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
What is a transformation? Well, it's something that transforms one function into another! To see what I mean and how that looks, check out this lesson!
9. Graphs of Parallel and Perpendicular Lines in Linear Equations
When we deal with linear equations, we sometimes come across equations that are parallel to each other or perpendicular to each other. You will see what they look like when graphed in this video lesson.
10. Reflexive Property of Congruence: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will look at the reflexive property of congruence. It is used to prove congruence when dealing with geometric figures. Specifically, the reflexive property is used when a figure is congruent to itself.
11. Similarity in Geometry: Application & Practice
This lesson will go over similarity in geometry. We will be defining similar shapes, looking at their properties, and using these properties in real-world, everyday applications.
12. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
13. Euclidean Geometry: Definition, History & Examples
The lesson will explore the history and nature of Euclidean geometry, including its origins in Alexandria under Euclid and its five postulates. Its influence on the work of other mathematicians will also be covered.
14. How to Read and Interpret Scale Drawings
Watch this video lesson to learn how scale drawings and legends are used on maps and blueprints. Learn skills that will serve you well when traveling and when looking at the blueprints of a car.
15. What is Symmetry in Math? - Definition & Concept
Symmetry occurs in many areas of mathematics. This lesson explains symmetry in math and explores the three basic types of symmetry: rotational symmetry, reflection symmetry, and point symmetry.
16. Plotting Points on the Coordinate Plane
If you'll be working with a graph, otherwise known as the coordinate plane, it's essential to understand how it works. This includes learning the parts of a graph, identifying points and plotting points.
17. Assessing Concepts of Geometry & Measurement in Adults
Assessing adults in their mathematical comprehension is just as important as assessing this in younger students. Learn what techniques you can use to assess geometry and measurement in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Adult Basic Education (55): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Grammar & Mechanics
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: The Writing Process
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Literary Genres & Devices
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Reading Comprehension
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: English as a Second Language
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Communication & Linguistics
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Number Sense
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Basic Algebraic Concepts
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Analyzing & Using Data
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: American History to 1914
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: America in the 1900s
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Early World History Overview
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Worldwide Political & Economic Shifts
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: American Government
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Principles of Geography
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Life Science Concepts
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Human Body Systems
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Physical Science Principles
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Scientific Inquiry
- MTEL Adult Basic Education Flashcards