About This Chapter
MTEL Adult Basic Education: Number Sense - Chapter Summary
This chapter on number sense includes lessons on prime and composite numbers, ratios and proportions, Arabic numbers and scientific notation. Review strategies for finding a number's absolute value, gain proficiency in solving word problems and explore the use of computer algorithms. Expand your knowledge in these areas as you prepare to convey mathematics concepts to adult learners after passing the MTEL Adult Basic Education examination. The online lessons could assist you with:
- Identifying Arabic, composite and prime numbers
- Switching between decimals and percents, and decimals and fractions
- Using ratios and proportions
- Working with scientific notation and absolute values
- Understanding algorithms and the fundamentals of rounding numbers
- Solving word problems step by step
- Working through number sense problems with the help of technology
- Assessing the number sense skills of adult learners
You can receive unlimited access to these valuable study resources and utilize them anywhere as long as you've got Web-connected technology. The video lessons offer detailed information on the above topics through animation and text. Professional instructors provide the narration that leads you through the videos, and bold terms are interspersed throughout the text lessons. Watch the lessons, identify the number sense concepts you need to focus on and ask questions of the experts whenever necessary.
1. Arabic Numerals: Definition, History & Example
In this lesson you will find a brief history of how the Arabic numeral system came to its present form. The system is defined and distinguished from all other numeral systems by its specific qualities.
2. Identifying Prime & Composite Numbers
In this video lesson, you will learn how to identify both prime and composite numbers. You will also learn what makes the numbers unique, as well as the characteristics of both these types of numbers.
3. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
Watch as we go on a rollercoaster ride in changing from a decimal to percent and then back again. Learn to master this technique so you can get as fast as a rollercoaster going downhill on tests and quizzes when you have to convert between the two.
4. Changing Between Decimals and Fractions
In this video lesson, you will learn about the usefulness of knowing how to change quickly between decimals and fractions. You will also learn how changing from a decimal to a fraction is different than changing from a fraction to a decimal.
5. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
6. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
7. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
8. What is a Computer Algorithm? - Design, Examples & Optimization
Modern computers can carry out very complex tasks. Each task consists of well-defined procedures known as algorithms. Learn how computers use algorithms to perform the tasks we expect them to do.
9. Estimating a Difference by Rounding
After studying this lesson, you will understand rounding basics. You'll also learn how to quickly solve subtraction problems by using your rounding skills.
10. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
11. Using Technology in Number Sense
We can use a scientific calculator for a variety of purposes in terms of number sense. In this lesson, we will see how the TI-84 scientific calculator can be used in straightforward financial computation problems.
12. Assessing Number Sense in Adult Learners
When it comes to teaching adults math, the same principles apply that apply to teaching math to elementary school children. The same methods of assessing number sense also apply. Learn what these are in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Adult Basic Education (55): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Grammar & Mechanics
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: The Writing Process
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Literary Genres & Devices
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Reading Comprehension
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: English as a Second Language
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Communication & Linguistics
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Basic Algebraic Concepts
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Geometry & Measurement
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Analyzing & Using Data
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: American History to 1914
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: America in the 1900s
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Early World History Overview
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Worldwide Political & Economic Shifts
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: American Government
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Principles of Geography
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Life Science Concepts
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Human Body Systems
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Physical Science Principles
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Scientific Inquiry
- MTEL Adult Basic Education Flashcards