About This Chapter
MTEL Adult Basic Education: Physical Science Principles - Chapter Summary
Look to this chapter's text and video lessons on physical science principles if you want to get ready for science questions on the MTEL Adult Basic Education examination. By studying the lessons, you can prepare to answer its questions on subjects that include heat, sound, motion, the solar system and the properties of matter. Use your study time to recall facts about plate tectonics, mechanical energy and the hydrologic cycle. When your review is complete, you could be able to:
- Identify the chemical and physical properties of matter
- Discover applications for mechanical and chemical energy
- Solve equations involving sound, heat and motion
- Discuss types of energy transformation
- List the layers of the atmosphere
- Understand the hydrologic cycle
- Identify the Earth's layers
- Explore theories on plate tectonics
- Name some visible planets
When you begin your review well in advance of the MTEL Adult Basic Education examination, you can absorb these and other facts in your spare time. Watch the text and video lessons on your mobile device. The short lessons are animated and presented by real instructors who will also answer your questions on physical science principles. Multiple-choice quizzes permit you to evaluate your progress, and word-for-word transcripts contain bold key terms. Video tags can be used to quickly move among the main subjects.
1. Matter: Physical and Chemical Properties
How are substances identified? There are two major ways we can describe a substance: physical properties and chemical properties. Learn about how chemists use properties to classify matter as either a mixture or a pure substance.
2. Conservation of Mechanical Energy
Energy comes in many forms and for any system can never be created or destroyed. This holds true for mechanical energy, which also obeys this law of conservation of energy. In this video lesson, you'll explore how mechanical energy is converted or transferred between forms and objects.
3. What is Chemical Energy? - Definition & Examples
This lesson describes chemical energy as a type of potential energy stored in chemicals, such as sugar and gasoline. The lesson discusses how energy is transferred from solar energy to chemical energy by plants and how gasoline is a source of chemical energy used to move cars.
4. What is Sound? - Definition and Factors Affecting the Speed of Sound
Explore the minute workings of sound waves and how they travel. We'll discuss the main factors that affect the speed of sound waves, and we'll try some mathematical problems involving the wave equation.
5. What is Heat? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of heat and find out how it differs from temperature. You will also explore practical applications of heat such as expansion, thermodynamics, heat transfer, specific heat, phase transitions, and heat engines.
6. Energy Transformation: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about the different kinds of energy and how these types of energy can be transformed from one form to another. You will also learn about some uses of these energy transformations in everyday life.
7. What Is Motion? - Definition & Equations
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what motion is and use basic equations of motion to solve problems. A short quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
8. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
9. The Hydrologic Cycle: Definition, Process & Diagram
The hydrologic, or water, cycle describes the storage and movement of all water on Earth. This lesson will cover the different reservoirs where water can be stored and how it moves between them.
10. Earth's Internal Layers: Crust, Mantle & Core
Earth is made up of several different layers, each with unique properties. In this video lesson, you will identify each layer of Earth and how it relates to Earth as a whole.
11. Plate Tectonics: A Unified Theory for Change of the Earth's Surface
After many years of trying to solve the mystery of the moving continents, enough data and evidence was collected to develop a unifying theory of how the surface of the earth changes. It's called plate tectonics.
12. Planets of the Solar System: Orbits & Visibility
This lesson will tell you which planets in our solar system you can see with the naked eye and which ones you cannot. You'll also learn how they appear to move in our sky and why we can see them in the first place.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Adult Basic Education (55): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Grammar & Mechanics
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: The Writing Process
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Literary Genres & Devices
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Reading Comprehension
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: English as a Second Language
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Communication & Linguistics
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Number Sense
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Basic Algebraic Concepts
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Geometry & Measurement
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Analyzing & Using Data
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: American History to 1914
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: America in the 1900s
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Early World History Overview
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Worldwide Political & Economic Shifts
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: American Government
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Principles of Geography
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Life Science Concepts
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Human Body Systems
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Scientific Inquiry
- MTEL Adult Basic Education Flashcards