About This Chapter
MTEL Adult Basic Education: Principles of Geography - Chapter Summary
Understanding how to interpret geographic information and the fundamentals of this field are skills assessed during the MTEL Adult Basic Education test. The lessons in this chapter will go over numerous aspects of geography, including the following:
- Geography explanation and terminology
- Geologic maps
- Analyzing reference books
- Geographic similarities and coordinates
- Impact of the environment on settlement
There are several ways you can use this chapter to study for the MTEL Adult Basic Education test. Each video lesson is accompanied by a full transcript, which highlights significant vocabulary terms that may prove beneficial to know for the exam. In addition to noting key terms and watching the videos, be sure to take the self-assessment quizzes at the end of each lesson to practice using your knowledge to answer multiple-choice questions.
1. What is Geography? - Definition, Facts & Types
This lesson will define and explore the study of geography. In doing this, it will also explain the two main branches of geography, which are physical and cultural geography.
2. Geographical Similarities: Scale, Space & Place
You've probably heard, and even used, the words 'space' and 'place.' But do you know what they mean in the field of cultural geography? In this lesson, we'll look at how geographers define areas, including space, place, and scale.
3. Understanding & Interpreting a Geologic Map
Geologic maps are neat because they show us the location of features found underneath Earth's surface. But just like any other map, they have their own set of symbols and codes that we need to understand in order to properly interpret them.
4. Practice Analyzing and Interpreting a Reference Book
Before the Internet existed, people used reference books to find answers to many of their questions. Reference books are still widely used, especially when doing research. Learn how to analyze and interpret them in this lesson.
5. Basic Geographic Terms: Definitions & Examples
This lesson includes a brief, yet informative introduction to the field of geography. You'll learn what geography is all about, as well as some definitions for basic geographic terms.
6. Geographic Coordinates: Latitude, Longitude & Elevation
This lesson will seek to explain the geographic coordinate system. In doing so, it will explain latitude and longitude. It will also highlight the equator, the prime meridian, and the concept of elevation.
7. Environmental Influences on Human Settlements & Activities
After watching this video, you will be able to explain the environmental reasons why humans settled where they did, both historically and more recently. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Adult Basic Education (55): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Grammar & Mechanics
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: The Writing Process
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Literary Genres & Devices
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Reading Comprehension
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: English as a Second Language
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Communication & Linguistics
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Number Sense
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Basic Algebraic Concepts
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Geometry & Measurement
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Analyzing & Using Data
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: American History to 1914
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: America in the 1900s
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Early World History Overview
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Worldwide Political & Economic Shifts
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: American Government
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Life Science Concepts
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Human Body Systems
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Physical Science Principles
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Scientific Inquiry
- MTEL Adult Basic Education Flashcards