About This Chapter
MTEL Biology: Disorders & Diseases of the Body Systems - Chapter Summary
Your review of this chapter's lessons will include topics such as the major blood disorders, including anemia. Other chapter material will refresh your memory on the following topics:
- Different types of heart conditions
- Major immune diseases
- Gastrointestinal diseases and disorders
- Urinary system disorders
- Male and female reproductive diseases
- Nervous system diseases
Respiratory diseases are also covered in this chapter, with a look at restrictive, obstructive and infective types. Take practice quizzes after studying the lessons to get additional review right after looking at the videos and transcripts.
Objectives of the MTEL Biology: Disorders & Diseases of the Body Systems Chapter
The Disorders & Diseases of the Body Systems chapter is one of the pieces of your prep for the Human Anatomy and Physiology subarea on the MTEL Biology test. You'll be answering between 17 and 19 multiple-choice questions in this subarea, with some of those items covering the topics in this chapter. The questions on the self-assessment quizzes show you what actual questions may look like on the exam.
1. Major Types of Nervous System Diseases
Your nervous system is responsible for more than you probably realize. In this lesson we're going to discuss some of the major diseases that arise from nervous system abnormalities and dysfunctions.
2. Major Types of Gastrointestinal Diseases & Disorders
Your GI tract plays a vital role in the absorption of nutrients from the food you eat. There are lots of processes involved along the way, and sometimes they just don't work the way they are supposed to, which can lead to some serious problems for you!
3. Female Reproductive Diseases & Disorders
The female reproductive system can be complicated, and as you can imagine, many things can go wrong. Learn about some of the more common disorders of the female reproductive system in this lesson.
4. Male Reproductive Diseases & Disorders
There is a variety of different reproductive diseases and disorders that can affect men. This lesson describe the basics of four of them: BPH, prostate cancer, hypogonadism, and cryptorchidism.
5. Major Types of Urinary System Diseases & Disorders
Your urinary system is an important system in your body. Among other jobs, it is tasked with removing waste and helping to maintain your fluid balance. So when things go awry, it can have serious impacts on your health.
6. Blood Disorders: Major Types
Normally, you don't think too much about your blood, right? This lesson will change all of that and will focus on some of the blood disorders people suffer from.
7. Types of Heart Conditions and Diseases
Your heart muscle receives a rich blood supply from the coronary arteries. If the coronary arteries become blocked, it can result in coronary heart disease, angina, heart attack or congestive heart failure. Learn how these conditions get started.
8. Important Respiratory Diseases: Obstructive, Restrictive & Infective
This lesson will discuss the different categories of respiratory diseases, including infectious, obstructive, and restrictive. Examples of each category will also be discussed.
9. Common Endocrine Diseases, Related Hormones & Their Effects
This lesson discusses seven endocrine diseases as well as the hormones involved. Specifically, we explore diabetes mellitus, Addison's disease, Cushing's syndrome, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, hyperparathyroidism, and hypoparathyroidism.
10. Immune Diseases: Major Types
Your immune system is designed to protect you from foreign invaders. But sometimes the immune system is weakened or overactive, leading to a wide range of problems in the body.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Biology (13): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Biology: Scientific Inquiry
- MTEL Biology: Scientific Processes
- MTEL Biology: Analysis & Interpretation of Data
- MTEL Biology: Using Laboratory Equipment
- MTEL Biology: History & Issues in Science
- MTEL Biology: Introduction to Inorganic Chemistry
- MTEL Biology: Organic Chemistry Foundations
- MTEL Biology: Overview of Biochemistry
- MTEL Biology: Cell Biology
- MTEL Biology: Prokaryotic Cells
- MTEL Biology: Cell Communication
- MTEL Biology: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- MTEL Biology: Plant Cells
- MTEL Biology: Cell Reproduction & Division
- MTEL Biology: Basic Biochemistry of Life
- MTEL Biology: Plant Structures & Functions
- MTEL Biology: Microbiology & Types of Microbes
- MTEL Biology: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory & Musculoskeleton Systems
- MTEL Biology: The Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- MTEL Biology: Reproduction & Development
- MTEL Biology: Introduction to Disease
- MTEL Biology: Diabetes, Arthritis & Genetic & Neurological Disorders
- MTEL Biology: Fundamental Body Tissues
- MTEL Biology: Connective Tissue
- MTEL Biology: Muscular System
- MTEL Biology: Gross Anatomy of Muscular System
- MTEL Biology: Skeletal System
- MTEL Biology: Skin Disorders
- MTEL Biology: Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- MTEL Biology: Human Genetics
- MTEL Biology: DNA Replication
- MTEL Biology: The Transcription & Translation Process
- MTEL Biology: Genetic Mutation, Variability & Engineering
- MTEL Biology: Evolution
- MTEL Biology: History of Life
- MTEL Biology: Taxonomic Systems
- MTEL Biology: Ecology
- MTEL Biology: Ecosystems & Biomes
- MTEL Biology: Renewable Resources
- MTEL Biology: Environmental Pollution
- MTEL Biology: Global Warming & Environmental Issues
- MTEL Biology Flashcards