About This Chapter
MTEL Biology: Fundamental Body Tissues - Chapter Summary
You can use the lessons in this chapter to help you develop effective ways of answering questions about fundamental body tissues as you prepare for the MTEL Biology Exam. The videos review all the material you need to know, including:
- Multicellular organisms
- Human skin tissue
- Epithelial tissue
Our expert instructors go over each aspect of the topics you need know, giving you a blueprint for preparing for the test. Being armed with several different approaches is an effective strategy recalling what you learned in college, and it is a fun way to review the concepts.
MTEL Biology: Fundamental Body Tissues Chapter Objectives
The MTEL Biology Exam assesses your knowledge and comprehension of all aspects of the field of biology. Your score is used to determine your eligibility for a teacher's license in Massachusetts. The topics in this Fundamental Body Tissues chapter are part of the Human Anatomy and Physiology portion of the exam which makes up 14% of the questions. The self-assessment quizzes that accompany each lesson allow you to test your comprehension of the information covered and experience the types of questions that will appear on the actual exam.
There are 100 multiple-choice questions on the MTEL Biology exam as well as two open-response items. The multiple-choice questions give you a passage or question followed by several possible answers, from which you must pick the correct one. The open-response questions ask you to write an organized, logical essay about two areas within biology and test your ability to integrate the information you have learned.
1. Multicellular Organisms, Tissues and Epithelium
In this lesson on multicellular organisms, you'll take a look at what it actually means to be multicellular and how cells are organized into tissues, organs, and organ systems. This lesson also covers one of the four main tissue types: epithelial tissue.
2. Human Skin: Layers, Function & Structure
This lesson will cover the three main layers of your skin, which includes the epidermis, dermis, and subcutis. In addition, we'll learn about other skin cells and tissue, such as adipose tissue, keratinocytes, melanocytes, and Merkel's cells.
3. What Is Epithelial Tissue? - Function, Types & Structure
This lesson will cover the different shapes and structures of epithelial tissue, including simple, columnar, cuboidal, stratified, transitional, squamous, and pseudostratified columnar epithelium.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Biology (13): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Biology: Scientific Inquiry
- MTEL Biology: Scientific Processes
- MTEL Biology: Analysis & Interpretation of Data
- MTEL Biology: Using Laboratory Equipment
- MTEL Biology: History & Issues in Science
- MTEL Biology: Introduction to Inorganic Chemistry
- MTEL Biology: Organic Chemistry Foundations
- MTEL Biology: Overview of Biochemistry
- MTEL Biology: Cell Biology
- MTEL Biology: Prokaryotic Cells
- MTEL Biology: Cell Communication
- MTEL Biology: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- MTEL Biology: Plant Cells
- MTEL Biology: Cell Reproduction & Division
- MTEL Biology: Basic Biochemistry of Life
- MTEL Biology: Plant Structures & Functions
- MTEL Biology: Microbiology & Types of Microbes
- MTEL Biology: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory & Musculoskeleton Systems
- MTEL Biology: The Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- MTEL Biology: Reproduction & Development
- MTEL Biology: Introduction to Disease
- MTEL Biology: Disorders & Diseases of the Body Systems
- MTEL Biology: Diabetes, Arthritis & Genetic & Neurological Disorders
- MTEL Biology: Connective Tissue
- MTEL Biology: Muscular System
- MTEL Biology: Gross Anatomy of Muscular System
- MTEL Biology: Skeletal System
- MTEL Biology: Skin Disorders
- MTEL Biology: Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- MTEL Biology: Human Genetics
- MTEL Biology: DNA Replication
- MTEL Biology: The Transcription & Translation Process
- MTEL Biology: Genetic Mutation, Variability & Engineering
- MTEL Biology: Evolution
- MTEL Biology: History of Life
- MTEL Biology: Taxonomic Systems
- MTEL Biology: Ecology
- MTEL Biology: Ecosystems & Biomes
- MTEL Biology: Renewable Resources
- MTEL Biology: Environmental Pollution
- MTEL Biology: Global Warming & Environmental Issues
- MTEL Biology Flashcards