About This Chapter
MTEL Biology: Protists, Fungi and Viruses - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter can help you review everything you learned about protists, fungi and viruses to prepare you for the MTEL Biology exam. The videos cover all the topics you will be tested on, including the:
- Evolution of prokaryotes
- Significance of the evolution of protists
- Characteristics of plants and fungi
- Life cycle of viruses
Our experienced instructors go over all the information you need to know, highlighting the main concepts and terms, in preparation for the test. By using multiple approaches to learning the material, the review process is efficient and fun.
Objectives of the MTEL Biology: Protists, Fungi and Viruses Chapter
The MTEL Biology exam is a standardized test that evaluates your knowledge and understanding of biology. A passing score is necessary to obtain a teacher's license to teach biology in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The topics in this Protists, Fungi and Viruses chapter are part of the Characteristics of Organisms objective. There will be 16-18 multiple-choice items on this objective on the test. By taking the self-assessment quizzes, you can measure your mastery of the material and practice answering questions like the ones that will appear on the test.
There are 100 multiple-choice and two open-response questions on the test. For the multiple-choice items you will be shown a passage or question and asked to select the correct answer from several alternatives. The open-response questions ask you to compose a logical, organized, grammatical essay on biology topics that demonstrate your ability to integrate information into a cohesive narrative.
1. The Evolution of Prokaryotes: Archaebacteria and Eubacteria
The first living organisms on Earth were bacteria. These small organisms still exist today and are responsible for many things. In this lesson, we will explore both ancient bacteria and true bacteria.
2. The Evolution of Protists: Importance & Evolutionary History
Some organisms are very familiar. However, there are some that play vital roles in our lives that we don't even think about. We will look at a group of one of these unfamiliar kingdoms - protists.
3. The Evolution of Plants and Fungi: Characteristics & Evolutionary History
In early classification systems, plants and fungi were grouped together. While there are some similarities between these two kingdoms, there are some key differences that we will explore.
4. Viruses: Definition, Classification & Life Cycle
From the common cold to HIV, viruses can be an annoyance, and even have the potential to kill you. This lesson will define what a virus is, describe how scientists classify them and will give an overview of the virus life cycle.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Biology (13): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Biology: Scientific Inquiry
- MTEL Biology: Scientific Processes
- MTEL Biology: Analysis & Interpretation of Data
- MTEL Biology: Using Laboratory Equipment
- MTEL Biology: History & Issues in Science
- MTEL Biology: Introduction to Inorganic Chemistry
- MTEL Biology: Organic Chemistry Foundations
- MTEL Biology: Overview of Biochemistry
- MTEL Biology: Cell Biology
- MTEL Biology: Prokaryotic Cells
- MTEL Biology: Cell Communication
- MTEL Biology: Plant Cells
- MTEL Biology: Cell Reproduction & Division
- MTEL Biology: Basic Biochemistry of Life
- MTEL Biology: Plant Structures & Functions
- MTEL Biology: Microbiology & Types of Microbes
- MTEL Biology: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory & Musculoskeleton Systems
- MTEL Biology: The Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- MTEL Biology: Reproduction & Development
- MTEL Biology: Introduction to Disease
- MTEL Biology: Disorders & Diseases of the Body Systems
- MTEL Biology: Diabetes, Arthritis & Genetic & Neurological Disorders
- MTEL Biology: Fundamental Body Tissues
- MTEL Biology: Connective Tissue
- MTEL Biology: Muscular System
- MTEL Biology: Gross Anatomy of Muscular System
- MTEL Biology: Skeletal System
- MTEL Biology: Skin Disorders
- MTEL Biology: Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- MTEL Biology: Human Genetics
- MTEL Biology: DNA Replication
- MTEL Biology: The Transcription & Translation Process
- MTEL Biology: Genetic Mutation, Variability & Engineering
- MTEL Biology: Evolution
- MTEL Biology: History of Life
- MTEL Biology: Taxonomic Systems
- MTEL Biology: Ecology
- MTEL Biology: Ecosystems & Biomes
- MTEL Biology: Renewable Resources
- MTEL Biology: Environmental Pollution
- MTEL Biology: Global Warming & Environmental Issues
- MTEL Biology Flashcards