About This Chapter
MTEL Business: Labor Relations - Chapter Summary
In this chapter are comprehensive lessons you can use to ensure you're prepared to address labor relations on the MTEL Business assessment. After completing the lessons, you will have the knowledge to:
- Discuss labor relations and unions
- Explain the importance of the collective bargaining process
- Differentiate between closed and open shops in labor relations
- Detail the unionizing process and associated employer restrictions and rights
- Identify bargaining strategies in labor relations
- Share details about bargaining impasses, including strikes and lockouts
- Describe the Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 and the Executive Order 10988 of 1962
Each lesson offers a full transcript with easily identifiable vocabulary words that help deepen your understanding of labor relations. Timelines are also located below the videos that allow you to skip to key topics you want to review during your studying process.
1. Labor Relations & Unions: NLRA, Taft-Hartley & the Civil Service Reform Act
The relationship between labor and management is governed by a set of federal labor laws. In this lesson, you'll learn about the National Labor Relations Act, the Taft-Hartley Act and the Civil Service Reform Act. A short quiz follows.
2. Importance of the Collective Bargaining Process
One of the primary advantages of unionization for workers is the collective bargaining process. In this lesson, you'll learn about collective bargaining and why it is important in labor-management relationship. A short quiz follows.
3. Closed vs. Open Shops in Labor Relations & Impacts on Human Resource Management
Union membership is sometimes required for employment at a company, but it may also not be required. In this lesson, you'll learn about open shops, union shops and closed shops, including what they mean to a company's HR department.
4. Unionizing Process: Certification, Decertification
Union representation requires certification and ending union representation requires decertification. In this lesson, you'll learn about the processes involved in certification and decertification. A short quiz follows.
5. Employer Restrictions and Rights in Unionizing Process & Collective Bargaining
Employees and employers have rights during unionization attempts and during the collective bargaining process. In this lesson, you'll learn about the rights of employers, as well as the restrictions to which they are subject, during these processes.
6. Bargaining Strategies in Labor Relations: Integrative & Distributive
One of the great advantages that unionized workers have is the ability to collectively bargain as a group with management. In this lesson, you'll learn about integrative and distributive bargaining strategies. A short quiz follows.
7. Bargaining Impasses: Strikes, Lockouts & Other Consequences
If negotiations between management and a union are not succeeding, either party may turn to more drastic measures to pressure concessions. In this lesson, you'll learn about strikes, lockouts, picketing and boycotts.
8. Executive Order 10988 of 1962 and the Civil Service Reform Act of 1978
Public sector employees are subject to some different labor relation laws. In this lesson, you'll learn about Executive Order 10988, Executive Order 11491, and the Civil Reform Act of 1978. A short quiz follows.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Business (19): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Business: Management Basics
- MTEL Business: Management Theories
- MTEL Business: Planning Function of Management
- MTEL Business: Organizing Function of Management
- MTEL Business: Leading Function of Management
- MTEL Business: Leadership Theories
- MTEL Business: Controlling Function of Management
- MTEL Business: Motivation & Management
- MTEL Business: Managing Organizational Change
- MTEL Business: Operational Management
- MTEL Business: Overview of Human Resource Management
- MTEL Business: Job Analysis & Design
- MTEL Business: Hiring & Staffing
- MTEL Business: Employee Training & Assessment
- MTEL Business: Employee Compensation
- MTEL Business: Employment Law & Rights
- MTEL Business: Equal Employment Opportunity
- MTEL Business: Business Communications
- MTEL Business: Overview of the American Legal System
- MTEL Business: Contract Law
- MTEL Business: Property Law
- MTEL Business: Agency Law
- MTEL Business: Creditors' Rights & Bankruptcy
- MTEL Business: Securities & Antitrust Law
- MTEL Business: Product Liability & Consumer Protection
- MTEL Business: Environmental Law
- MTEL Business: Business Law & Ethics
- MTEL Business: Overview of Accounting
- MTEL Business: Accounting Cycle
- MTEL Business: Financial Statements & Ratios
- MTEL Business: Managerial Accounting & Internal Controls
- MTEL Business: Basics of Business Math
- MTEL Business: Probability & Statistics
- MTEL Business: Depreciation
- MTEL Business: Interest & Purchases
- MTEL Business: Financial Analysis
- MTEL Business: Basic Concepts of Microeconomics
- MTEL Business: Supply & Demand in Microeconomics
- MTEL Business: Aggregate Supply & Demand in Macroeconomics
- MTEL Business: Economic Systems & Theories in Macroeconomics
- MTEL Business: Business Cycle, GDP & Growth in Macroeconomics
- MTEL Business: Unemployment & Inflation in Macroeconomics
- MTEL Business: Fiscal Policy & Monetary Policy in Macroeconomics
- MTEL Business: Trade & International Business in Macroeconomics
- MTEL Business: General Marketing Concepts
- MTEL Business: Consumer Behavior
- MTEL Business: Pricing in Marketing
- MTEL Business: Product Development, Market Research & Segmentation
- MTEL Business: Advertising, Promotion & PR
- MTEL Business: Marketing Channels & Distribution
- MTEL Business: Entrepreneurship
- MTEL Business: Information Technology
- MTEL Business: Career Development
- MTEL Business: Consumer Economics & Personal Finance
- MTEL Business Flashcards