About This Chapter
MTEL Business: Overview of Human Resource Management - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to review definitions, structures and processes related to human resource management. Examples are used to help you further develop an understanding of the topics discussed in the videos. After a successful viewing of these lessons, you should have a firm grasp of the following concepts to help you answer these types of questions on the MTEL Business exam:
- Defining the objectives and responsibilities of human resource management
- Explaining the functions of a human resource department
- Identifying external influences on human resource management
- Detailing types of corporate cultures and types of organizational groups
- Discussing strategic human resource management
- Exploring ethics in human resource management
- Listing reasons for conflict within groups
- Relating ways in which to build morale in the workplace
Instructors present the material in an easy and straightforward manner, making it fun to use these lessons. The quizzes provide you with the opportunity to gauge your understanding of the topics covered in the lessons, using the same multiple-choice format that is used on the actual MTEL Business exam.
1. Human Resource Management: Definition, Objectives & Responsibilities
Human resource management is an essential function of both private and public sector organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn what human resource management is, as well as its objectives and responsibilities in an organization.
2. The Internal Structure of an HR Department
Human resource management serves a vitally important function in most organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn how an organization may structure its human resource management functions within the organization.
3. External Factors Impacting HRM
Businesses don't operate in a bubble and neither does human resource management. In this lesson, you'll learn about some important external factors that impact human resource management. A short quiz follows the lesson.
4. Corporate Culture: Definition, Types & Example
Corporate culture plays a large role in how a company behaves and interacts with the world around it. In this lesson, you'll learn about different corporate cultures. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz.
5. Aligning HRM and Organizational Strategy
Successful businesses have a strategic vision and know how to implement it. In this lesson, you'll learn how human resource management (HRM) can align its organizational functions with the overall strategy of its organization.
6. Ethical Issues in HR: Definition & Importance
Unethical behavior from a business can create problems with regulators and have adverse effects on a company's bottom line. In this lesson, you'll learn about ethical issues relevant to HR and the importance of ethical organizational behavior.
7. Groups in Organizations: Formation & Types
There are many different types of groups, likely more than you may be aware of. In this lesson, we will explore the various types of groups and how they are defined. We will also look at how or why they form, as this will give us a better understanding of their focus and design.
8. Team Conflict and the Work Process
Conflict is inevitable in groups, which is why managers must understand it. In this lesson you will learn about the reasons why teams may encounter conflict while working together.
9. Building Morale in the Workplace: Activities & Exercises
There are many ways to build morale in the workplace. There are little and big things an organization can do to keep morale high. Read on to find out more on how you can incorporate these ideas into your organization.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Business (19): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Business: Management Basics
- MTEL Business: Management Theories
- MTEL Business: Planning Function of Management
- MTEL Business: Organizing Function of Management
- MTEL Business: Leading Function of Management
- MTEL Business: Leadership Theories
- MTEL Business: Controlling Function of Management
- MTEL Business: Motivation & Management
- MTEL Business: Managing Organizational Change
- MTEL Business: Operational Management
- MTEL Business: Job Analysis & Design
- MTEL Business: Hiring & Staffing
- MTEL Business: Employee Training & Assessment
- MTEL Business: Employee Compensation
- MTEL Business: Employment Law & Rights
- MTEL Business: Equal Employment Opportunity
- MTEL Business: Labor Relations
- MTEL Business: Business Communications
- MTEL Business: Overview of the American Legal System
- MTEL Business: Contract Law
- MTEL Business: Property Law
- MTEL Business: Agency Law
- MTEL Business: Creditors' Rights & Bankruptcy
- MTEL Business: Securities & Antitrust Law
- MTEL Business: Product Liability & Consumer Protection
- MTEL Business: Environmental Law
- MTEL Business: Business Law & Ethics
- MTEL Business: Overview of Accounting
- MTEL Business: Accounting Cycle
- MTEL Business: Financial Statements & Ratios
- MTEL Business: Managerial Accounting & Internal Controls
- MTEL Business: Basics of Business Math
- MTEL Business: Probability & Statistics
- MTEL Business: Depreciation
- MTEL Business: Interest & Purchases
- MTEL Business: Financial Analysis
- MTEL Business: Basic Concepts of Microeconomics
- MTEL Business: Supply & Demand in Microeconomics
- MTEL Business: Aggregate Supply & Demand in Macroeconomics
- MTEL Business: Economic Systems & Theories in Macroeconomics
- MTEL Business: Business Cycle, GDP & Growth in Macroeconomics
- MTEL Business: Unemployment & Inflation in Macroeconomics
- MTEL Business: Fiscal Policy & Monetary Policy in Macroeconomics
- MTEL Business: Trade & International Business in Macroeconomics
- MTEL Business: General Marketing Concepts
- MTEL Business: Consumer Behavior
- MTEL Business: Pricing in Marketing
- MTEL Business: Product Development, Market Research & Segmentation
- MTEL Business: Advertising, Promotion & PR
- MTEL Business: Marketing Channels & Distribution
- MTEL Business: Entrepreneurship
- MTEL Business: Information Technology
- MTEL Business: Career Development
- MTEL Business: Consumer Economics & Personal Finance
- MTEL Business Flashcards