About This Chapter
MTEL English: Contemporary British Literature - Chapter Summary
In order to review contemporary British authors who had an impact, go through each engaging lesson in this chapter. This helps you review for MTEL English test questions related to:
- The life and writing style of James Joyce
- Major plays by George Bernard Shaw
- The works of D.H. Lawrence
- Famous poems of W.H. Auden
- Life and poems of Dylan Thomas
- Doris Lessing's books and biography
- Seamus Heaney's life, works and impact
Give yourself ample preparation for the MTEL English exam by looking at these lessons, which are found in video and text formats. Make sure you are ready for the actual test by using our self-assessment quizzes.
1. Introduction to James Joyce: Life and Evolution of Style
In this lesson, we'll get familiar with James Joyce's life and works. We'll trace how his biography influences his major novels and how his style changes over time.
2. Introduction to George Bernard Shaw: Life and Major Plays
George Bernard Shaw is one of the most prolific and important playwrights in the last 150 years. Don't believe us? Watch this video to learn about his social activism, his important contribution to the world of education and, of course, his plays.
3. Introduction to D.H. Lawrence: His Works and Controversy
In this video, we'll introduce D.H. Lawrence's life and works. We'll dig a little deeper into his controversial portrayals of sexuality and explore the social politics at play in his life and in his fiction.
4. W.H. Auden: Biography & Famous Poems
This lesson will explore the life and work of W. H. Auden. In addition to his poetry, we will consider the context he was writing in and the central themes of his work.
5. Dylan Thomas: Biography & Poems
Dylan Thomas, Wales' most famous poet, continues to be taught in schools and read in homes, even after his premature death. Read about what makes his life and poetry so original.
6. Doris Lessing: Books & Biography
Award-winning author Doris Lessing (1919-2013) left a legacy of personal and descriptive fiction which will continue to be read by generations of readers. This lesson provides an overview of her life and work.
7. Seamus Heaney: Poems & Biography
In this lesson, you will learn about Irish poet Seamus Heaney. The lesson will focus on his life as a poet and professor. You will also learn about his works, including poems ~'Mid-Term Break~' and ~'Digging.~' This lesson will also discuss his impact on present-day British Literature.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL English (07): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL English: American Literature from 1600-1800
- MTEL English: Dark Romanticism & Transcendentalism
- MTEL English: Realism in American Literature
- MTEL English: Modernism in American Literature
- MTEL English: Contemporary American Literature
- MTEL English: Old & Middle English Literature
- MTEL English: Renaissance Literature
- MTEL English: 17th & 18th Century English Literature
- MTEL English: Authors & Poets of the Romantic Period
- MTEL English: Victorian Literature
- MTEL English: Ancient Greek Literature
- MTEL English: Ancient World Literature
- MTEL English: European Authors & Poets
- MTEL English: Contemporary World Literature
- MTEL English: Characteristics of Literature
- MTEL English: Genres & Types of Fiction
- MTEL English: Elements of Non-Fiction
- MTEL English: Drama as Literature
- MTEL English: Elements of Poetry
- MTEL English: Types of Poetry
- MTEL English: Interpreting Prose
- MTEL English: Literary Devices
- MTEL English: Literary Theory & Criticism
- MTEL English: Language Acquisition
- MTEL English: Principles of Rhetoric
- MTEL English: The Essay Writing Process
- MTEL English: Types of Compositions
- MTEL English: Writing Conventions
- MTEL English: Language & Reading Processes
- MTEL English: Vocabulary & Word Choice
- MTEL English: Motivating Students to Read
- MTEL English: Research-Based Reading Instruction
- MTEL English Flashcards