About This Chapter
MTEL English: Contemporary British Literature - Chapter Summary
In order to review contemporary British authors who had an impact, go through each engaging lesson in this chapter. This helps you review for MTEL English test questions related to:
- The life and writing style of James Joyce
- Major plays by George Bernard Shaw
- The works of D.H. Lawrence
- Famous poems of W.H. Auden
- Life and poems of Dylan Thomas
- Doris Lessing's books and biography
- Seamus Heaney's life, works and impact
Give yourself ample preparation for the MTEL English exam by looking at these lessons, which are found in video and text formats. Make sure you are ready for the actual test by using our self-assessment quizzes.
1. Introduction to James Joyce: Life and Evolution of Style
James Joyce was one of the most influential writers of the 20th century Modernist movement. Explore an introduction to Joyce's life and who he was, discover the evolution of his style, and survey his most important works.
2. Introduction to George Bernard Shaw: Life and Major Plays
George Bernard Shaw's life included writing major plays and winning both an Oscar award and the Nobel Prize in Literature. Explore an introduction to Shaw's accomplishments, life, and playwriting, and consider how his philosophies are present in his plays.
3. Introduction to D.H. Lawrence: His Works and Controversy
D.H. Lawrence was regarded as being a famous figure for the production of one single book: ~'Lady Chatterley's Lover.~' Learn more about D.H. Lawrence, his works, and the controversy that surrounded his private life.
4. W.H. Auden: Biography & Famous Poems
W.H. Auden was an influential 20th-century poet. Explore the life of W.H. Auden, the modernist movement influencing his work, and examples of his most famous poems.
5. Dylan Thomas: Biography & Poems
Dylan Thomas, Wales' most famous poet, continues to be taught in schools and read in homes, even after his premature death. Read about what makes his life and poetry so original.
6. Doris Lessing: Books & Biography
Award-winning author Doris Lessing (1919-2013) left a legacy of personal and descriptive fiction which will continue to be read by generations of readers. This lesson provides an overview of her life and work.
7. Seamus Heaney: Poems & Biography
In this lesson, you will learn about Irish poet Seamus Heaney. The lesson will focus on his life as a poet and professor. You will also learn about his works, including poems ~'Mid-Term Break~' and ~'Digging.~' This lesson will also discuss his impact on present-day British Literature.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the MTEL English (07): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL English: American Literature from 1600-1800
- MTEL English: Dark Romanticism & Transcendentalism
- MTEL English: Realism in American Literature
- MTEL English: Civil War Literature
- MTEL English: Modernism in American Literature
- MTEL English: Contemporary American Literature
- MTEL English: Old & Middle English Literature
- MTEL English: Renaissance Literature
- MTEL English: 17th & 18th Century English Literature
- MTEL English: Authors & Poets of the Romantic Period
- MTEL English: Victorian Literature
- MTEL English: Ancient Greek Literature
- MTEL English: Ancient World Literature
- MTEL English: European Authors & Poets
- MTEL English: Contemporary World Literature
- MTEL English: Characteristics of Literature
- MTEL English: Genres & Types of Fiction
- MTEL English: Elements of Non-Fiction
- MTEL English: Drama as Literature
- MTEL English: Elements of Poetry
- MTEL English: Types of Poetry
- MTEL English: Interpreting Prose
- MTEL English: Literary Devices
- MTEL English: Literary Theory & Criticism
- MTEL English: Language Acquisition
- MTEL English: Principles of Rhetoric
- MTEL English: The Essay Writing Process
- MTEL English: Types of Compositions
- MTEL English: Writing Conventions
- MTEL English: Language & Reading Processes
- MTEL English: Vocabulary & Word Choice
- MTEL English: Motivating Students to Read
- MTEL English: Research-Based Reading Instruction
- MTEL English Flashcards