About This Chapter
MTEL Foundations of Reading: Alphabetic Principle - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will be presented with opportunities to refresh your memory on the methods of letter identification, spelling development, and other related topics with brief video lessons. Short quizzes will also be provided so that you can test your knowledge of lesson concepts in preparation for the MTEL Foundations of Reading exam. By the end of this chapter, you will have remembered these topics, plus the following:
- Alphabetic principle and reading
- Kinds of consonants and vowels
- Scribbling process
- Alphabet lessons in preschool and kindergarten
Review the lesson transcripts for a closer observations of the topics. In addition to taking the chapter quizzes, you can also print out quiz worksheets and answers to study. If you have any questions while you are working through this chapter, do not hesitate to ask the instructors.
MTEL Foundations of Reading: Alphabetic Principle Chapter Objectives
You will take the MTEL Foundations of Reading on a computer. The exam will include 100 multiple-choice questions and two open-ended questions. The Foundations of Reading Development section of the test is worth 35% of the MTEL Foundations of Reading exam and is one of four of the test's sections. Exam questions will measure how well you understand the alphabetic principle and letter recognition in regards to children learning to read.
1. The Alphabetic Principle & Learning to Read
Learning to read can often be a complex process for children, especially bilingual and other language learners. How does the alphabetic principle come into play? This lesson will explain how all children use the principle to develop reading.
2. Understanding Consonants, Vowels & Syllables: Types, Structure & Activities
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how vowels and consonants come together to form syllables. You will also learn how you can teach this part of our language to your students.
3. Stages of Spelling Development
Children don't start out knowing how to spell words. Instead, spelling (like many other skills) develops over time and with practice. Watch this lesson to find out more about the stages of spelling development that children go through.
4. The Processes of Scribbling & Invented Spelling
Children aren't born with the ability to spell like they are the ability to breathe or eat. In this lesson, we'll examine the processes of pre-spelling including how children move from scribbling to spelling through specific developmental steps.
5. The Spelling Development Process
The process of learning to spell can often be complicated and frustrating for students. With the right method of instruction and a solid understanding of the relationship between spelling and reading, spelling can be a breeze. Read on for details.
6. Alphabet Lessons for Kindergarten and Preschool
Teaching the alphabet is a large part of teaching preschool and kindergarten. This lesson will give you several activities you can use to teach this important skill to your students.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Foundations of Reading (90): Study Guide & Prep course
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Oral Language Development
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Print Awareness
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Comprehension & Fluency
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Word Analysis
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Vocabulary Development
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Literary Analysis
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Literary Genres
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Fiction
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Nonfiction
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Drama
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Poetry
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Literary Devices
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Expository Text
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Emergent Literacy
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Assessment Strategies
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Teaching Strategies
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Literacy-Rich Environments
- MTEL Foundations of Reading Flashcards