About This Chapter
MTEL Foundations of Reading: Emergent Literacy - Chapter Summary
This chapter examines the ways you can best support the emerging literacy of students, with simple-to-follow lessons guiding you towards an enhanced understanding of the related topics you'll want to be familiar with going into the MTEL Foundations of Reading exam, including:
- Supporting emergent literacy
- Choral reading, repeated reading, and assisted reading
- Activities to promote emergent literacy
- Resources to support emergent literacy in the classroom
- Phases of emergent literacy
- Steps in learning to read
To make sure you're understanding the content correctly, each lesson comes with a practice quiz that you can use to check your comprehension before moving on. These quizzes are also a great way to get familiarized with the sort of questions you'll be answering on the exam, and if you get an answer wrong on any of these quizzes, you'll be given the option to jump right back to the point of the lesson that deals with the topic.
1. Phases of Emergent Literacy
Teachers who work with young children can be more effective if they understand how emergent literacy works. This lesson will acquaint you with the phases of emergent literacy.
2. Activities to Promote Emergent Literacy
Emergent readers and writers are exciting to work with! This lesson will give you some ideas about what activities best promote emergent literacy. You will learn about activities for promoting oral language as well as reading and writing.
3. Activities with a Role in Emergent Reading
Learning to read can be a difficult journey for many. As experienced readers, there are things we can do to help them on their way. This lesson discusses the emergent reading strategies of lap reading, shared reading, and guided reading.
4. Choral Reading, Repeated Reading & Assisted Reading: Definition & Activities
Hearing what you're reading and reading can help readers build fluency and accuracy in their reading. In this lesson, we'll look at three audio reading activities for classroom use: choral reading, repeated reading, and audio-assisted reading.
5. Resources to Support Emergent Literacy in the Classroom
When teaching young children to read, educators need to have a tool bag bursting at the seams. What types of resources can be used to help emergent readers, and what does that look like in a classroom? Read on for details.
6. Steps in Learning to Read
Learning to read is a multifaceted process. This lesson will explore the steps necessary to learn how to read and will end with a short quiz to test what you have learned.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Foundations of Reading (90): Study Guide & Prep course
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Oral Language Development
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Alphabetic Principle
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Print Awareness
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Comprehension & Fluency
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Word Analysis
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Vocabulary Development
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Literary Analysis
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Literary Genres
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Fiction
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Nonfiction
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Drama
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Poetry
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Literary Devices
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Expository Text
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Assessment Strategies
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Teaching Strategies
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Literacy-Rich Environments
- MTEL Foundations of Reading Flashcards