About This Chapter
MTEL Foundations of Reading: Teaching Strategies - Chapter Summary
This chapter helps you study for the MTEL Foundations of Reading exam by examining elements of reading development and the tools you can employ as a reading instructor to best aid the process. You can expect to emerge from this chapter with a heightened understanding of:
- Teaching reading and reading comprehension
- How read-alouds support emergent literacy
- Scaffolding reading instruction
- Strategies for understanding various forms of writing and assessing reading materials
- Language structure and text features in reading comprehension
- Vocabulary words and reading comprehension
- Graphic organizers
- Close reading vs. big picture reading strategies
- Metacognitive strategies
- Technology used in reading instruction
- Teaching reading and writing to diverse learners
Within each lesson, you'll be able to choose between receiving the content through a video or transcript, allowing for a personalized learning process. For easy review, you'll be able to jump around to different key points of the video using the timeline feature, while the transcripts include important terms highlighted in bold.
1. How to Teach Reading: Planning and Execution
Feeling overwhelmed with the immensity of teaching reading comprehension? Watch this video lesson to learn four easy steps to plan and execute reading lessons.
2. How to Teach Reading Comprehension
Teaching reading comprehension requires instilling in the learner the use of several strategies and skills. This lesson will focus on cognitive skills and notation strategies that will enhance reading comprehension.
3. Strategies for Reading Comprehension
Have you been assigned to read something and you just couldn't understand what the author is trying to tell you? In this lesson, you will learn five strategies to help yourself understand what you are reading.
4. How Read Alouds Support Emergent Literacy
There are so many different reasons to read aloud to children of all ages. In this lesson, you will begin to understand how reading to younger children helps support their emergent literacy and put them on the path to being lifelong readers.
5. Strategies for Scaffolding Reading Instruction
Ever heard the phrase 'reading is the gateway to all learning'? Reading is one of the areas targeted by most states for assessment because it not only is a critical area in academics, but also an area where most students were not showing gains. This lesson will highlight strategies to help struggling readers develop skills to be successful in the classroom.
6. Strategies for Understanding Various Forms of Writing
Reading effectively means knowing the genre of literature and using strategies for that writing. Different types of writing such as narrative, expository, descriptive, and persuasive have specific objectives and require varied reading strategies.
7. Language Structure & Text Features in Reading Comprehension
In this lesson we will examine how language structure and text features can help you comprehend what you are reading and, ultimately, remember the information better!
8. Vocabulary Words & Reading Comprehension: Teaching Strategies
Learning how to decipher unfamiliar words is imperative in any language arts classroom. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies for teaching vocabulary in reading passages.
9. Graphic Organizer: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, delve into the world of graphic organizers and gain an understanding of the definition and varieties. You'll also view examples of how they can be applied to foster a myriad of educational objectives.
10. Close Reading vs. Big Picture Reading Strategies
In this lesson, learn about two different approaches to reading a work of literature: big picture strategies and close reading strategies. Discover how these two perspectives can be put into practice through examples from the play 'Romeo and Juliet.'
11. Metacognitive Strategies: Definition & Examples
This lesson will define and explain in detail what metacognitive strategies are and how they can be used in the classroom to help deepen students' thinking about content and develop students who are ready and willing to tackle new content.
12. Technology Used in Reading Instruction
In this lesson, we will explore the different uses of technology for reading instruction and how it can be a valuable tool in the classroom. We will discuss some of the options available for your classroom implementation.
13. Literacy Strategies for Teachers
The best way for children to grow as readers is for them to constantly practice and engage in reading. Reading research tells us that thinking about what your brain is doing when reading, or being metacognitive, helps one to progress in regard to comprehension. Children need to know what and why they're reading. Implementing specific literacy strategies will help them accomplish this.
14. Teaching Reading & Writing to Diverse Learners
As teachers in today's society, we have to meet the needs of diverse learners. This lesson will help you understand strategies for teaching reading and writing to a wide range of students.
15. Strategies for Assessing Reading Materials
One of the most important aspects of being an English language arts teacher is choosing suitable reading materials for your students. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies for choosing the most appropriate materials.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Foundations of Reading (90): Study Guide & Prep course
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Oral Language Development
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Alphabetic Principle
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Print Awareness
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Comprehension & Fluency
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Word Analysis
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Vocabulary Development
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Literary Analysis
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Literary Genres
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Fiction
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Nonfiction
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Drama
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Poetry
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Literary Devices
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Expository Text
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Emergent Literacy
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Assessment Strategies
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Literacy-Rich Environments
- MTEL Foundations of Reading Flashcards