About This Chapter
MTEL History: Contemporary American Presidents - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons can help you brush up on your knowledge of recent presidents and their accomplishments as you prepare for the MTEL History exam. Use the videos to get ready for these types of questions on the exam:
- Understanding the impact of Ronald Reagan's economic policies
- Identifying the domestic achievements of George H.W. Bush
- Exploring Bill Clinton's ideas on the economy, healthcare, welfare and social policies
- Examining the controversial 2000 presidential election
- Describing George W. Bush's response to the 9/11 attacks
- Analyzing Barack Obama's election and accomplishments
These video lessons look at policies and events of these presidencies, giving you a review of their importance and impact on the country. Our instructors are experts at helping you prepare for the exam, and if you need any further assistance, feel free to submit your questions to them..
Objectives of the Contemporary American Presidents Chapter
The MTEL History exam looks at your knowledge of history, geography, government and economics. Passing it is required of anyone who wants certification to teach history in Massachusetts. Topics covered in the Contemporary American Presidents chapter are in the test's section on U.S. history, which comprises 30% of the total test.
All questions on the MTEL History exam are multiple-choice, like the brief quizzes that follow each of our lessons. These quizzes allow you to assess your knowledge and gain practice answering test questions in a format similar to what you'll face when you take the MTEL History exam.
1. Reaganomics: Success, Failures & Effects
'Reaganomics' represented President Ronald Reagan's attempt at energizing the inert American economy following the 1970s. Learn about the program, as well as its successes and failures, in this lesson.
2. President George H.W. Bush: Domestic Policy and Accomplishments
President George H.W. Bush's domestic agenda reflected a change in ideology. Learn about the domestic challenges Bush faced, his handling of the issues and his overall achievements.
3. Bill Clinton's Domestic Policy: the Economy, Healthcare, Welfare & Social Policies
During the 1990s, President Bill Clinton met many of his domestic policy goals, including stimulating the economy, reforming welfare, and advocating for social change. He did not successfully achieve a national healthcare system.
4. George W. Bush: 2000 Election & Domestic Agenda
President George W. Bush overcame numerous obstacles before and after entering office. Learn about the Republican Primary Election, the presidential election of 2000 and Bush's domestic goals.
5. George W. Bush: the 9/11 Terrorist Attack & War on Terror
The September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States forced President George W. Bush to reappraise his foreign policy. Learn about the tragic day, the Bush Doctrine and the ensuing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
6. President Barack Obama: Election, Policies & Accomplishments
Barack Obama became the first African American President of the United States in 2009. Learn about his first term including his domestic and foreign initiatives, and his successes and failures.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL History (06): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL History: Pre-Columbian North America
- MTEL History: Early North American Settlements
- MTEL History: Road to the American Revolution
- MTEL History: The American Revolution
- MTEL History: Ratification of the U.S. Constitution
- MTEL History: The Virginia Dynasty
- MTEL History: Jacksonian Democracy
- MTEL History: Manifest Destiny
- MTEL History: American Civil War
- MTEL History: American Reconstruction
- MTEL History: Industrialization & Urbanization in the U.S.
- MTEL History: The Progressive Era
- MTEL History: American Imperialism
- MTEL History: The Roaring 20s in the U.S.
- MTEL History: The Great Depression in the U.S.
- MTEL History: World War II
- MTEL History: The Cold War
- MTEL History: Protests, Activism & Civil Rights
- MTEL History: America in the 1970s
- MTEL History: The Stone Age
- MTEL History: The Bronze & Iron Ages
- MTEL History: Ancient Civilizations
- MTEL History: Ancient Middle East & India
- MTEL History: Early China & Japan
- MTEL History: Foundations of Religion
- MTEL History: Hinduism
- MTEL History: Buddhism
- MTEL History: Confucianism
- MTEL History: Judaism
- MTEL History: Christianity
- MTEL History: Islam
- MTEL History: Classical Greece
- MTEL History: The Roman Republic & The Roman Empire
- MTEL History: Government & Culture in the Middle Ages
- MTEL History: War, Revolution & Culture in France & England
- MTEL History: European Renaissance & Reformation
- MTEL History: African Cultures Before European Colonization
- MTEL History: Exploration & Colonization of the Americas
- MTEL History: Revolution & War in the Americas
- MTEL History: Revolution & Independence in Europe & the U.S.
- MTEL History: The Industrial Revolution & Enlightenment
- MTEL History: Germany During the World Wars
- MTEL History: A World at War
- MTEL History: Cold War
- MTEL History: Scientific Thinkers & Discoveries
- MTEL History: Introduction to Geography
- MTEL History: Spatial Processes
- MTEL History: Geography Tools
- MTEL History: The Dispersal of Humans & Culture
- MTEL History: Settlement Patterns
- MTEL History: Basic Terms & Concepts of Political Science
- MTEL History: Historical Influences on Political Ideologies
- MTEL History: Founding Documents of U.S. Government
- MTEL History: Federalism in the U.S.
- MTEL History: Types of Legislatures in Government
- MTEL History: U.S. Electoral Systems
- MTEL History: U.S. Political Parties
- MTEL History: Basic Terms & Concepts of Economics
- MTEL History: Economic Theories
- MTEL History: Economic Systems
- MTEL History: U.S. Economy
- MTEL History Flashcards