About This Chapter
MTEL History: Revolution and Independence in Europe and the US
The lessons in this chapter can help you recollect all the important information about revolution and independence in Europe and the US as you prepare to take the MTEL History exam. The videos go over all that you need to know, including:
- The Ottoman Empire
- Monarchical nation states
- European colonialism
- The French Revolution
- Restoration and reform in Europe
- Revolutionary movements throughout Europe
Our experienced instructors use brief animated videos to point out the salient features of all these events in preparation for the test. Learning via assorted mechanisms means greater exposure to the content and more opportunity to gain confidence in your knowledge. Once you finish the lessons, you can take the cumulative chapter exam to determine how well you understand the material.
MTEL History: Revolution and Independence in Europe and the US
The MTEL History exam is a comprehensive test that evaluates your knowledge and understanding of all historical topics. You need to pass this test in order to be licensed as a history teacher in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The topics in this Revolution and Independence in Europe and the US chapter fall within the World History objective and include 25% of the test questions. You can check on your mastery of the material by completing the self-assessment quiz that comes with the video lesson.
The questions on the MTEL History exam include 100 multiple-choice items and two open-response items which account for 80% and 20% of your grade. The multiple-choice items will show you a passage followed by several possible responses from which you must choose the correct answer. The open-response items evaluate your ability to develop a thoughtful and logical response to historical questions.
1. The Ottoman Empire: Changes, Politics & Developments
In this lesson, we explore the problems the Ottoman Empire faced in the 19th century, and the many territorial losses it endured at the hands of Russia, Austria, and others.
2. The Development of Monarchical Nation States: the Rise of Power
In this lesson, we will study the rise of powerful kings in Western Europe. We will look at the transition from feudalism to the nation-state and examine four countries in which this transition took place.
3. Colonialism Across Europe
In the late 1400s, European explorers learned how to cross the Atlantic Ocean. This lesson explores the impact of the colonization of the Americas by Europeans and the reasons they emigrated.
4. Phases of the French Revolution: Overview & Events
This lesson will provide a brief overview of the primary phases, key events, and main characters of the French Revolution. We will also study the conditions and circumstances leading up to the Revolution.
5. Political Restoration and Reform in Europe
In this lesson, we explore the major changes that were made to the boundaries and political apparatuses in European states after the fall of Napoleon, most notably in the German lands and in the Low Countries.
6. Revolutionary Movements of Portugal and Spain: Political & Economic Developments
In this lesson we explore the revolutionary movements in both Spain and Portugal in the 19th century and the long struggle between liberal revolutionaries and the traditional monarchies.
7. Revolutionary Movements of Italy and Greece: Movements, Unification & Modernization
In this lesson, we examine the revolutionary and nationalist movements in Italy and Greece. We'll also look at the obstacles both states had to overcome to become internationally recognized nations.
8. Revolutionary Movements of Russia: Political, Economic & Social Reform
In this lesson, we'll explore the tumultuous domestic history of 19th-century Russia, where czars opposed radical nationalists and periods of liberal reform alternated with periods of violent political suppression.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL History (06): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL History: Pre-Columbian North America
- MTEL History: Early North American Settlements
- MTEL History: Road to the American Revolution
- MTEL History: The American Revolution
- MTEL History: Ratification of the U.S. Constitution
- MTEL History: The Virginia Dynasty
- MTEL History: Jacksonian Democracy
- MTEL History: Manifest Destiny
- MTEL History: American Civil War
- MTEL History: American Reconstruction
- MTEL History: Industrialization & Urbanization in the U.S.
- MTEL History: The Progressive Era
- MTEL History: American Imperialism
- MTEL History: The Roaring 20s in the U.S.
- MTEL History: The Great Depression in the U.S.
- MTEL History: World War II
- MTEL History: The Cold War
- MTEL History: Protests, Activism & Civil Rights
- MTEL History: America in the 1970s
- MTEL History: Contemporary American Presidents
- MTEL History: The Stone Age
- MTEL History: The Bronze & Iron Ages
- MTEL History: Ancient Civilizations
- MTEL History: Ancient Middle East & India
- MTEL History: Early China & Japan
- MTEL History: Foundations of Religion
- MTEL History: Hinduism
- MTEL History: Buddhism
- MTEL History: Confucianism
- MTEL History: Judaism
- MTEL History: Christianity
- MTEL History: Islam
- MTEL History: Classical Greece
- MTEL History: The Roman Republic & The Roman Empire
- MTEL History: Government & Culture in the Middle Ages
- MTEL History: War, Revolution & Culture in France & England
- MTEL History: European Renaissance & Reformation
- MTEL History: African Cultures Before European Colonization
- MTEL History: Exploration & Colonization of the Americas
- MTEL History: Revolution & War in the Americas
- MTEL History: The Industrial Revolution & Enlightenment
- MTEL History: Germany During the World Wars
- MTEL History: A World at War
- MTEL History: Cold War
- MTEL History: Scientific Thinkers & Discoveries
- MTEL History: Introduction to Geography
- MTEL History: Spatial Processes
- MTEL History: Geography Tools
- MTEL History: The Dispersal of Humans & Culture
- MTEL History: Settlement Patterns
- MTEL History: Basic Terms & Concepts of Political Science
- MTEL History: Historical Influences on Political Ideologies
- MTEL History: Founding Documents of U.S. Government
- MTEL History: Federalism in the U.S.
- MTEL History: Types of Legislatures in Government
- MTEL History: U.S. Electoral Systems
- MTEL History: U.S. Political Parties
- MTEL History: Basic Terms & Concepts of Economics
- MTEL History: Economic Theories
- MTEL History: Economic Systems
- MTEL History: U.S. Economy
- MTEL History Flashcards