About This Chapter
MTEL Math: Circles- Chapter Summary
In this chapter we'll explore the concepts involved in circles. Our expert instructors will also teach you techniques for finding the radius, finding the area and circumference of a circle, and techniques for solving word problems involving circles. Our Circles chapter will teach you:
- Central and Inscribed Angles
- How to find the radius, diameter, area and circumference of a circle
- The definition of, and perimeter and area formulas for semicircles
- How to calculate the area, perimeter, and radius of quarter circles
- How to solve word problems involving circles
These short video lessons, taught by mathematics experts, will help you with circle related questions on your MTEL Mathematics exam. With the combination of basic circle concepts and techniques for finding their radius, diameters, and other measurements you'll be able to apply the knowledge gained from this chapter to any question involving circles, semicircles or quarter circles on the exam.
MTEL Math: Circles- Chapter Objectives
The Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) tests were designed to test the preparedness for future educators to teach in prekindergarten through 12th grade classrooms. They are intended to test an educator's reading comprehension skills and writing clarity as well as their expertise in subject specific topics. The MTEL Mathematics test, likewise is designed to test a future educator's readiness to teach mathematics or related courses.
This chapter, Circles, will be most applicable to the Geometry and Measurement subarea and will be especially useful for questions dealing with the axiomatic structure of Euclidean Geometry. The Geometry and Measurement subarea accounts for 19% of the exam's score weight and is one of the six testing areas found on the MTEL Mathematics test.
The test consists of multiple choice questions and open-response assignments and takes roughly 4 hours and 15 minutes to complete.
1. Central and Inscribed Angles: Definitions and Examples
When we're working with circles, there are two key angles to know: central angles and inscribed angles. These angles have a few special theorems, which we'll discuss and practice using in this lesson.
2. How to Find the Radius of a Circle: Definition & Formula
In this lesson, you will discover the definition of a radius. You will also learn how to find the radius of a circle using three different formulas based on diameter, circumference, and area.
3. How to Find the Diameter of a Circle: Definition, Formula & Example
Learn the definition of the diameter of a circle and how to find it using a simple formula. See some examples, then test your knowledge with a short quiz.
4. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
5. Semicircle: Definition, Perimeter & Area Formulas
In this lesson, you'll discover what a semicircle is. You'll also discover the formulas for perimeter and area that will work on every semicircle. Then, test your knowledge by taking a brief quiz.
6. Quarter Circles: Calculating Area, Perimeter & Radius
Watch as we solve problems involving the quarter circle in this video lesson. Learn what quarter circles look like, how to find their area, their perimeter, and their radius.
7. Circles in Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems that involve circles. Learn how the properties of circles make your problem-solving life that much easier and quicker.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Mathematics (09): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTEL Math: Absolute Value & Integers
- MTEL Math: Fractions
- MTEL Math: Decimals
- MTEL Math: Percents
- MTEL Math: Rates & Ratios
- MTEL Math: Proportions
- MTEL Math: Estimation
- MTEL Math: Origins of Math
- MTEL Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- MTEL Math: Complex Numbers
- MTEL Math: Properties of Numbers
- MTEL Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTEL Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- MTEL Math: Scientific Notation
- MTEL Math: Number Theory
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Sequences
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Series
- MTEL Math: Properties of Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphing Functions
- MTEL Math: Factoring
- MTEL Math: The Coordinate Graph & Symmetry
- MTEL Math: Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Vectors, Matrices & Determinants
- MTEL Math: Introduction to Quadratics
- MTEL Math: Working with Quadratic Functions
- MTEL Math: Polynomial Functions Basics
- MTEL Math: Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions
- MTEL Math: Piecewise, Absolute Value & Step Functions
- MTEL Math: Rational Expressions, Functions & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTEL Math: Measurement
- MTEL Math: Perimeter & Area
- MTEL Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- MTEL Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- MTEL Math: Properties of Lines
- MTEL Math: Angles
- MTEL Math: Triangles
- MTEL Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- MTEL Math: Similar Polygons
- MTEL Math: The Pythagorean Theorem
- MTEL Math: Quadrilaterals
- MTEL Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement
- MTEL Math: Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections
- MTEL Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization
- MTEL Math: Transformations
- MTEL Math: Data & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Statistics
- MTEL Math: Data Collection
- MTEL Math: Samples & Populations
- MTEL Math: Probability
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphs of Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Identities
- MTEL Math: Applications of Trigonometry
- MTEL Math: Limits
- MTEL Math: Continuity
- MTEL Math: Rate of Change
- MTEL Math: Derivative Calculations & Rules
- MTEL Math: Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule
- MTEL Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTEL Math: Integration Techniques
- MTEL Math: Integration Applications
- MTEL Math: Differential Equations
- MTEL Math: Discrete & Finite Math
- MTEL Mathematics Flashcards