About This Chapter
MTEL Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter make it easier for you to answer questions related to circular arcs and measurement on the MTEL Mathematics assessment. Review the videos, and you will be ready for the following on exam day:
- Defining circular arcs and circles
- Explaining the measure of an arc and calculating the measure of an inscribed angle
- Providing the meaning and theorems of the tangent of a circle
- Measuring the angles and lengths of tangents, chords and secants
- Creating inscribed and circumscribed figures and triangles
- Identifying parts of regular polygons
- Finding the area of the arc length of a sector
You can easily navigate the video lessons, and choose those you want to watch in any sequence that works best for you. Take advantage of timelines that allow you to identify and skip to key topics within the videos without watching them in their entirety.
MTEL Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement Chapter Objectives
The topics in this chapter on circular arcs and measurement prepare you for questions in the geometry and measurement subarea of the MTEL Mathematics assessment. This subarea is found in the multiple-choice portion and constitutes about 19% of the total test. In addition to reviewing the lessons in this chapter, you can assess your readiness to take the exam by taking short lesson quizzes and a practice chapter exam. If you have any questions about lesson topics, don't hesitate to submit them to our experts.
The assessment is a subject-matter test that is taken on computer and lasts four hours. It consists of 100 multiple-choice questions and two open-response assignments. The goal of the test is to ensure educators in Massachusetts are qualified for the licensure they need to teach mathematics in classrooms. To pass, you must earn a minimum score of 240.
1. Circular Arcs and Circles: Definitions and Examples
What is a circle? In this lesson, find out all about the circle and its many parts, including circular arcs and semicircles. Also, discover how a locus works in creating a circle, parallel lines and more.
2. Measure of an Arc: Process & Practice
What is the measure of an arc? And what is the difference between a minor arc and a major arc? Find out all that and practice finding the measure of an arc in this lesson.
3. How to Find the Measure of an Inscribed Angle
Finding the measure of an inscribed angle requires knowing a little information. In this lesson, we'll find the measure of an inscribed angle when we know the measure of the central angle or one or more of the arcs formed by the angle.
4. Tangent of a Circle: Definition & Theorems
What happens when a line just barely touches a circle? It's a tangent! In this lesson, we'll learn all about tangents to circles, including a few key theorems. We'll also look at tangent circles.
5. Measurements of Angles Involving Tangents, Chords & Secants
When lines and circles meet, angles are formed. Fortunately, we can determine the measure of these angles, whether they're formed by tangents, secants or chords, just by knowing the measure of the created arcs.
6. Measurements of Lengths Involving Tangents, Chords and Secants
The lengths of chords, tangents and secants take on unique relationships when they're drawn on circles. In this lesson, we'll define those relationships and see them in action.
7. Inscribed and Circumscribed Figures: Definition & Construction
A square and a circle may be different shapes, but they still can have a unique relationship. In this lesson, we'll learn about inscribed and circumscribed figures.
8. Constructing Inscribed & Circumscribed Triangles
View this lesson to learn how you can construct inscribed and circumscribed triangles. Learn how both involve circles. All you need are a ruler and a compass.
9. Regular Polygons: Definition & Parts
What makes a polygon a polygon? And what shapes are considered polygons? In this lesson, find out the answers to these questions and more as we learn all about polygons and their parts.
10. Arc Length of a Sector: Definition and Area
In this lesson, we'll slice up a circle like it's a pizza and learn how to find out useful information about our slices. We'll find out the area of these sectors, or pie slices. We'll also learn about arc lengths.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Mathematics (09): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTEL Math: Absolute Value & Integers
- MTEL Math: Fractions
- MTEL Math: Decimals
- MTEL Math: Percents
- MTEL Math: Rates & Ratios
- MTEL Math: Proportions
- MTEL Math: Estimation
- MTEL Math: Origins of Math
- MTEL Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- MTEL Math: Complex Numbers
- MTEL Math: Properties of Numbers
- MTEL Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTEL Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- MTEL Math: Scientific Notation
- MTEL Math: Number Theory
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Sequences
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Series
- MTEL Math: Properties of Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphing Functions
- MTEL Math: Factoring
- MTEL Math: The Coordinate Graph & Symmetry
- MTEL Math: Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Vectors, Matrices & Determinants
- MTEL Math: Introduction to Quadratics
- MTEL Math: Working with Quadratic Functions
- MTEL Math: Polynomial Functions Basics
- MTEL Math: Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions
- MTEL Math: Piecewise, Absolute Value & Step Functions
- MTEL Math: Rational Expressions, Functions & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTEL Math: Measurement
- MTEL Math: Perimeter & Area
- MTEL Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- MTEL Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- MTEL Math: Properties of Lines
- MTEL Math: Angles
- MTEL Math: Triangles
- MTEL Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- MTEL Math: Similar Polygons
- MTEL Math: The Pythagorean Theorem
- MTEL Math: Quadrilaterals
- MTEL Math: Circles
- MTEL Math: Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections
- MTEL Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization
- MTEL Math: Transformations
- MTEL Math: Data & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Statistics
- MTEL Math: Data Collection
- MTEL Math: Samples & Populations
- MTEL Math: Probability
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphs of Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Identities
- MTEL Math: Applications of Trigonometry
- MTEL Math: Limits
- MTEL Math: Continuity
- MTEL Math: Rate of Change
- MTEL Math: Derivative Calculations & Rules
- MTEL Math: Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule
- MTEL Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTEL Math: Integration Techniques
- MTEL Math: Integration Applications
- MTEL Math: Differential Equations
- MTEL Math: Discrete & Finite Math
- MTEL Mathematics Flashcards