About This Chapter
MTEL Math: Decimals - Chapter Summary
Brush up on decimal conversions, estimation and operations as you study the information and take the quizzes in these lessons. The videos illustrate the following material:
- Explanation of decimal place value and word names
- How to order and compare decimals
- Understanding inequalities with decimals
- How to convert between decimals and mixed numbers
- Operations and estimation using decimals
- How to use decimal numbers to solve problems
Moving from one component of this study guide to another is quick and easy due to the fully integrated nature of the format. The quizzes link to the videos, key vocabulary is highlighted in both the videos and the accompanying transcripts, and assistance from our instructors and subject-matter specialists is as close as your computer mouse.
MTEL Math: Decimals Chapter Objectives
The primary objective of the MTEL Mathematics exam is to evaluate the content-area knowledge of teacher candidates seeking licensure or teachers seeking subject-area endorsement. The test is criterion-referenced, so each candidate's performance is measured against a state-defined set of criteria instead of against other candidates. This chapter addresses Subarea I: Number Sets and Operations, one of the six subareas contained in the test. Subarea I is composed of about 16 questions and is weighted at 12% of the test.
There are 100 multiple-choice items and two open-ended response assignments on this computer-based exam. Both of the open-ended response questions must be completed, and the topics to which you will address your compositions may be taken from any of the subareas on the test. Your written responses must meet the length requirement of between 150 and 300 words.
1. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
2. Using Word Names for Decimal Numbers
In this video lesson, we go in depth into translating our decimal numbers into the English language. Learn how to write out decimal numbers and the special situations that there are.
3. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this video lesson, you'll find out how you can look at any two decimals and immediately tell which is greater than the other. You'll also learn how to quickly sort decimals from least to greatest or vice versa.
4. Inequalities with Decimals
In this video lesson, we talk about solving inequalities with decimals. You will learn in what order to take your steps to solve these types of problems.
5. Converting Decimals to Mixed Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to convert easily between decimals and mixed numbers. Learn what kinds of decimals you can and cannot convert to a mixed number.
6. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
7. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do to get a correct answer when multiplying and dividing decimals. Learn the easy tricks to figuring out where the decimal point goes.
8. How to Estimate with Decimals to Solve Math Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can estimate problems with decimals in them so you can get a quick answer when you need it - for example, when you are at the gas station and you need to know how much gas you can afford.
9. Estimating Sums, Differences & Products of Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to estimate any decimal number to help you simplify your math problems. See how easy it is to estimate your answer when you are trying to find the sum, difference, or product.
10. Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers
Problems involving decimal numbers might sound like a way to torture you, but learning how important these types of problems are in the real world is important. In this lesson, you will see a couple areas in life where you routinely encounter decimal number problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Mathematics (09): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTEL Math: Absolute Value & Integers
- MTEL Math: Fractions
- MTEL Math: Percents
- MTEL Math: Rates & Ratios
- MTEL Math: Proportions
- MTEL Math: Estimation
- MTEL Math: Origins of Math
- MTEL Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- MTEL Math: Complex Numbers
- MTEL Math: Properties of Numbers
- MTEL Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTEL Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- MTEL Math: Scientific Notation
- MTEL Math: Number Theory
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Sequences
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Series
- MTEL Math: Properties of Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphing Functions
- MTEL Math: Factoring
- MTEL Math: The Coordinate Graph & Symmetry
- MTEL Math: Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Vectors, Matrices & Determinants
- MTEL Math: Introduction to Quadratics
- MTEL Math: Working with Quadratic Functions
- MTEL Math: Polynomial Functions Basics
- MTEL Math: Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions
- MTEL Math: Piecewise, Absolute Value & Step Functions
- MTEL Math: Rational Expressions, Functions & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTEL Math: Measurement
- MTEL Math: Perimeter & Area
- MTEL Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- MTEL Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- MTEL Math: Properties of Lines
- MTEL Math: Angles
- MTEL Math: Triangles
- MTEL Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- MTEL Math: Similar Polygons
- MTEL Math: The Pythagorean Theorem
- MTEL Math: Quadrilaterals
- MTEL Math: Circles
- MTEL Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement
- MTEL Math: Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections
- MTEL Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization
- MTEL Math: Transformations
- MTEL Math: Data & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Statistics
- MTEL Math: Data Collection
- MTEL Math: Samples & Populations
- MTEL Math: Probability
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphs of Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Identities
- MTEL Math: Applications of Trigonometry
- MTEL Math: Limits
- MTEL Math: Continuity
- MTEL Math: Rate of Change
- MTEL Math: Derivative Calculations & Rules
- MTEL Math: Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule
- MTEL Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTEL Math: Integration Techniques
- MTEL Math: Integration Applications
- MTEL Math: Differential Equations
- MTEL Math: Discrete & Finite Math
- MTEL Mathematics Flashcards