About This Chapter
MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Series - Chapter Summary
Gain or regain fluency and skill in working with geometric and arithmetic series as you work through these lessons. They are designed to help you prepare for the MTEL Math test. You will review the following:
- Series in mathematics and summation or Sigma notation
- Examples of series and summation notation
- Calculating arithmetic and geometric series and practice problems
- Explanation of the formula for infinite geometric series
A fully transcribed version of the video accompanies each lesson, with key terminology and vocabulary highlighted for rapid identification and easy referral. The cleverly illustrated, brightly presented and well-written video lessons make working with number series fun and easy, while their brief format saves you time and enables you to move through the program quickly.
MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Series Chapter Objectives
Massachusetts state law requires the successful completion of the MTEL Mathematics test as part of the requirement for teacher licensure or content-area endorsement. Of the six subareas in the test, this chapter aligns with the competencies under Subarea II: Patterns, Relations, and Algebra, which may contain from 27 to 29 multiple-choice questions, and comprises 23% of the test.
The MTEL Mathematics exam is computer-based, and contains 100 multiple-choice questions and two for which you must compose a written response that addresses a given topic. This topic may be drawn from any of the subareas on the exam. Both of the open-response questions must be answered, and your composition should be between 150 and 300 words long.
1. Summation Notation and Mathematical Series
The capital Greek letter sigma might be most recognizable as a common symbol in a fraternity or sorority, but it's used for some pretty cool math tricks too. In this lesson, learn how to use sigma for things like determining how many seats are in Michigan Stadium.
2. How to Use Series and Summation Notation: Process and Examples
Have you ever seen a sideways M on a math test and wondered what it meant? In this video lesson, learn about the notation that we use to show that we want to sum something up. Learn how to use it and see some examples of it in use.
3. Using Sigma Notation for the Sum of a Series
In math, we have a notation for a lot of things. When you need to sum up a series, we also have a notation for that. You will learn about this notation, called Sigma notation, in this video lesson.
4. How to Calculate an Arithmetic Series
In this lesson, you'll learn how to sum up any arithmetic sequence without having to add up each and every term. You'll never guess the circumstances that led to the discovery of this marvelous formula.
5. Understand the Formula for Infinite Geometric Series
Watch this video lesson to learn how to calculate the sum of an infinite geometric series. Learn about the interesting thing that happens when your common ratio is less than one.
6. How to Calculate a Geometric Series
If you're not satisfied with knowing how many views your YouTube video will get any one day and need to know how many total views you're getting, geometric series are for you! Learn more in this lesson.
7. Understanding Arithmetic Series in Algebra
In this video lesson, we will learn about arithmetic series and how they work. Learn also how to find the pattern of an arithmetic sequence along with finding the sum.
8. Arithmetic and Geometric Series: Practice Problems
There are many different types of problems concerning series and sequences - including some that are pretty abstract. From bouncing balls to adding up odd numbers, test your skills here with additional arithmetic and geometric series practice!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Mathematics (09): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTEL Math: Absolute Value & Integers
- MTEL Math: Fractions
- MTEL Math: Decimals
- MTEL Math: Percents
- MTEL Math: Rates & Ratios
- MTEL Math: Proportions
- MTEL Math: Estimation
- MTEL Math: Origins of Math
- MTEL Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- MTEL Math: Complex Numbers
- MTEL Math: Properties of Numbers
- MTEL Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTEL Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- MTEL Math: Scientific Notation
- MTEL Math: Number Theory
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Sequences
- MTEL Math: Properties of Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphing Functions
- MTEL Math: Factoring
- MTEL Math: The Coordinate Graph & Symmetry
- MTEL Math: Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Vectors, Matrices & Determinants
- MTEL Math: Introduction to Quadratics
- MTEL Math: Working with Quadratic Functions
- MTEL Math: Polynomial Functions Basics
- MTEL Math: Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions
- MTEL Math: Piecewise, Absolute Value & Step Functions
- MTEL Math: Rational Expressions, Functions & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTEL Math: Measurement
- MTEL Math: Perimeter & Area
- MTEL Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- MTEL Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- MTEL Math: Properties of Lines
- MTEL Math: Angles
- MTEL Math: Triangles
- MTEL Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- MTEL Math: Similar Polygons
- MTEL Math: The Pythagorean Theorem
- MTEL Math: Quadrilaterals
- MTEL Math: Circles
- MTEL Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement
- MTEL Math: Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections
- MTEL Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization
- MTEL Math: Transformations
- MTEL Math: Data & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Statistics
- MTEL Math: Data Collection
- MTEL Math: Samples & Populations
- MTEL Math: Probability
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphs of Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Identities
- MTEL Math: Applications of Trigonometry
- MTEL Math: Limits
- MTEL Math: Continuity
- MTEL Math: Rate of Change
- MTEL Math: Derivative Calculations & Rules
- MTEL Math: Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule
- MTEL Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTEL Math: Integration Techniques
- MTEL Math: Integration Applications
- MTEL Math: Differential Equations
- MTEL Math: Discrete & Finite Math
- MTEL Mathematics Flashcards