About This Chapter
MTEL Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter in order to get ready for the MTEL Math exam. When you look through these interactive lessons, you will start bettering your understanding of different geometric solids and their traits. You will also be able to review:
- Characteristics, types and examples of polyhedrons
- Counting polyhedrons' faces, vertices and edges
- Nets and views of three-dimensional figures
- Planes, polyhedrons and platonic solids
- Prisms and pyramids
- Definition, volume and area of cylinders, spheres and cones
Grow your understanding of different polyhedrons and geometric solids by looking through these lessons. They are designed to efficiently get you ready for any topic covered on the MTEL Math exam. Working through each lesson, try to remember details about different geometric shapes. Then, quickly assess your understanding of this knowledge to make sure you are ready to do well on the exam.
MTEL Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids Chapter Objectives
Taking and passing the MTEL Math exam gives you the chance to assess your understanding of different math principles. The goal is to help you get a license in Massachusetts as an educator. Different subareas are included on this exam, and the material in this chapter is included on Subarea 3. This portion makes up 19% of the test, which includes multiple-choice and possibly open-response questions.
1. What is a Polyhedron? - Characteristics & Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to identify a polyhedron when you see one. You will also be able to tell your friends what the distinguishing identifying factor of a polyhedron is.
2. Types of Polyhedrons
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to identify polyhedrons and you will become familiar with the common types of polyhedrons found in the world. You will also see real-world examples of polyhedrons in action.
3. Counting Faces, Edges & Vertices of Polyhedrons
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to count how many faces, edges, and vertices a polyhedron has. Also, you will learn how the number of faces, edges, and vertices are related.
4. Front, Side & Top View of 3-Dimensional Figures
This lesson goes over the front, side, and top views of numerous 3-dimensional figures. You'll learn that while some look exactly the same from most angles, others do not.
5. Nets of 3-Dimensional Figures
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to deconstruct a 3-dimensional figure into its 2-dimensional net. Learn what kind of shape you will get after opening and flattening your 3-dimensional figure.
6. Planes and the Polyhedron: Definition and Example
Did you ever wonder what the pyramids in Egypt have to do with math? Watch this video to find out where in math a pyramid comes into play. Also, learn how flat, 2-dimensional shapes also come into play.
7. What Are Platonic Solids? - Definition and Types
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn that there are only five platonic solids in the whole world. You will also learn what they look like and see real-life examples.
8. Prisms: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson and you will see that there are different kinds of prisms. You will also learn how to separate a prism into its various parts so you can easily find the surface area. You will also learn the formula for the volume.
9. Pyramids: Definition, Area & Volume
Do you think of the great pyramids of Egypt when you hear the word pyramids? Watch this video lesson to learn why they are called pyramids and also how to find their surface area and volume.
10. What Are Cylinders? - Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn why soda cans are cylinders and the method by which you can discover how much soda can fit inside by finding the volume. You will also learn about finding a cylinder's surface area.
11. Cones: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn where in the real world you will see cones. Also, you will learn the formulas for finding the surface area and volume of these cones.
12. Spheres: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the surface area and volume of spheres. Learn the formulas and measurements you need to solve problems and discover how to identify spheres in the real world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Mathematics (09): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTEL Math: Absolute Value & Integers
- MTEL Math: Fractions
- MTEL Math: Decimals
- MTEL Math: Percents
- MTEL Math: Rates & Ratios
- MTEL Math: Proportions
- MTEL Math: Estimation
- MTEL Math: Origins of Math
- MTEL Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- MTEL Math: Complex Numbers
- MTEL Math: Properties of Numbers
- MTEL Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTEL Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- MTEL Math: Scientific Notation
- MTEL Math: Number Theory
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Sequences
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Series
- MTEL Math: Properties of Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphing Functions
- MTEL Math: Factoring
- MTEL Math: The Coordinate Graph & Symmetry
- MTEL Math: Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Vectors, Matrices & Determinants
- MTEL Math: Introduction to Quadratics
- MTEL Math: Working with Quadratic Functions
- MTEL Math: Polynomial Functions Basics
- MTEL Math: Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions
- MTEL Math: Piecewise, Absolute Value & Step Functions
- MTEL Math: Rational Expressions, Functions & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTEL Math: Measurement
- MTEL Math: Perimeter & Area
- MTEL Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- MTEL Math: Properties of Lines
- MTEL Math: Angles
- MTEL Math: Triangles
- MTEL Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- MTEL Math: Similar Polygons
- MTEL Math: The Pythagorean Theorem
- MTEL Math: Quadrilaterals
- MTEL Math: Circles
- MTEL Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement
- MTEL Math: Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections
- MTEL Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization
- MTEL Math: Transformations
- MTEL Math: Data & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Statistics
- MTEL Math: Data Collection
- MTEL Math: Samples & Populations
- MTEL Math: Probability
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphs of Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Identities
- MTEL Math: Applications of Trigonometry
- MTEL Math: Limits
- MTEL Math: Continuity
- MTEL Math: Rate of Change
- MTEL Math: Derivative Calculations & Rules
- MTEL Math: Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule
- MTEL Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTEL Math: Integration Techniques
- MTEL Math: Integration Applications
- MTEL Math: Differential Equations
- MTEL Math: Discrete & Finite Math
- MTEL Mathematics Flashcards