About This Chapter
MTEL Math: Polynomial Functions Basics - Chapter Summary
Brush up on your skills and increase your mastery of polynomial functions, graphs and more in these brief video lessons. The videos contain the material in the list below:
- Explanation of polynomial function terminology
- Evaluating polynomials in function notation
- How to understand basic polynomial graphs
- How to find intervals of polynomial functions
- Behavior of polynomials: short and long run
- Graphing quintics, quartics, cubics and more
- Definition and use of Pascal's Triangle
- Explanation of the binomial theorem
One of the most convenient features that characterize this study guide is its mobility. You can work from any location that provides online access, and from a variety of electronic devices including your smartphone, laptop, notebook or tablet computer. As long as you can gain access to the internet, you have access to the lessons in this study guide.
MTEL Math: Polynomial Functions Basics Chapter Objectives
The MTEL Mathematics exam is a criterion-referenced and competency-based test required for content-area endorsement or teacher licensure. This is a computer-based exam consisting of six total subareas. The Polynomial Functions Basics chapter of our MTEL Math test prep study guide is aligned to competencies falling under Subarea I: Number Sense and Operations. There are between 14 and 16 questions in this subarea, and it accounts for 12% of the overall exam.
Altogether, you have 100 multiple-choice questions to answer and two open-ended response assignments to complete. Topics for the open-ended assignments may be drawn from any of the subareas, and will require you to develop a composition of between 150 and 300 words. You must complete both of the assignments.
1. Terminology of Polynomial Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to understand and use the words associated with polynomial functions like a pro. You will see words, such as leading coefficient, and you will immediately know what it is referring to.
2. How to Evaluate a Polynomial in Function Notation
This lesson will review how to evaluate polynomials in function notation. Along with an analogy to explain the process, examples will be given and worked during the lesson.
3. Understanding Basic Polynomial Graphs
This lesson will cover understanding basic polynomial graphs. The lesson focuses on how exponents and leading coefficients alter the behavior of the graphs.
4. Finding Intervals of Polynomial Functions
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the intervals of a polynomial function. Also learn how to find out whether each interval is negative or positive.
5. Short Run & Long Run Behavior of Polynomials: Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the graph of a polynomial to help you explain the polynomial function. Learn how to explain the behavior of the polynomial at the origin and at the far ends.
6. How to Graph Cubics, Quartics, Quintics and Beyond
Finding the graph of a polynomial isn't too hard. If you can graph, you already know the major steps! With a couple rules and helpful memorizing tools, you will be graphing polynomials in no time!
7. Pascal's Triangle: Definition and Use with Polynomials
Pascal's Triangle is defined and discussed briefly. Following the introduction to the triangle, its use in expanding polynomial powers is elaborated with examples.
8. The Binomial Theorem: Defining Expressions
In this lesson, students will learn the binomial theorem and get practice using the theorem to expand binomial expressions. The theorem is broken down into its parts and then reconstructed.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Mathematics (09): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTEL Math: Absolute Value & Integers
- MTEL Math: Fractions
- MTEL Math: Decimals
- MTEL Math: Percents
- MTEL Math: Rates & Ratios
- MTEL Math: Proportions
- MTEL Math: Estimation
- MTEL Math: Origins of Math
- MTEL Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- MTEL Math: Complex Numbers
- MTEL Math: Properties of Numbers
- MTEL Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTEL Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- MTEL Math: Scientific Notation
- MTEL Math: Number Theory
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Sequences
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Series
- MTEL Math: Properties of Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphing Functions
- MTEL Math: Factoring
- MTEL Math: The Coordinate Graph & Symmetry
- MTEL Math: Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Vectors, Matrices & Determinants
- MTEL Math: Introduction to Quadratics
- MTEL Math: Working with Quadratic Functions
- MTEL Math: Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions
- MTEL Math: Piecewise, Absolute Value & Step Functions
- MTEL Math: Rational Expressions, Functions & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTEL Math: Measurement
- MTEL Math: Perimeter & Area
- MTEL Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- MTEL Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- MTEL Math: Properties of Lines
- MTEL Math: Angles
- MTEL Math: Triangles
- MTEL Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- MTEL Math: Similar Polygons
- MTEL Math: The Pythagorean Theorem
- MTEL Math: Quadrilaterals
- MTEL Math: Circles
- MTEL Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement
- MTEL Math: Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections
- MTEL Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization
- MTEL Math: Transformations
- MTEL Math: Data & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Statistics
- MTEL Math: Data Collection
- MTEL Math: Samples & Populations
- MTEL Math: Probability
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphs of Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Identities
- MTEL Math: Applications of Trigonometry
- MTEL Math: Limits
- MTEL Math: Continuity
- MTEL Math: Rate of Change
- MTEL Math: Derivative Calculations & Rules
- MTEL Math: Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule
- MTEL Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTEL Math: Integration Techniques
- MTEL Math: Integration Applications
- MTEL Math: Differential Equations
- MTEL Math: Discrete & Finite Math
- MTEL Mathematics Flashcards