About This Chapter
MTEL Math: Rate of Change - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive overview of rate of change is designed to improve your ability to answer questions on the MTEL Math exam. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be ready for the following:
- Describing velocity and the rate of change
- Discussing slopes and the rate of change
- Sharing the definition of mean value theorem
- Explaining how Rolle's theorem is a special case of the mean value theorem
- Defining and discussing graphical representations of derivatives
- Providing the meaning of being 'differentiable'
The resources in this chapter spare you the hours you would spend identifying and compiling materials you'll need to address on the exam. Instead of conducting research, you can review prepared lessons presented by quality instructors with a wealth of knowledge on rate of change.
1. Velocity and the Rate of Change
Running from your little sister or just window-shopping, your speed is just a measure of how fast you move, or how your position is changing over time. In this lesson, learn about how velocity is a rate of change.
2. Slopes and Rate of Change
If you throw a ball straight up, there will be a point when it stops moving for an instant before coming back down. Consider this as we study the rate of change of human cannonballs in this lesson.
3. What is the Mean Value Theorem?
Three people set off on a car trip. They all start at the same time and end at the same time. Learn what calculus says about how fast they traveled along the way as you study the Mean Value Theorem in this lesson.
4. Rolle's Theorem: A Special Case of the Mean Value Theorem
Super C, the human cannonball, is shot into the air at 35 mph, but his average vertical velocity is zero. In this lesson, you will use Rolle's theorem to explain what this means about Super C's flight.
5. Derivatives: The Formal Definition
The derivative defines calculus. In this lesson, learn how the derivative is related to the instantaneous rate of change with Super C, the cannonball man.
6. Derivatives: Graphical Representations
Take a graphical look at the definitive element of calculus: the derivative. The slope of a function is the derivative, as you will see in this lesson.
7. What It Means To Be 'Differentiable'
Lots of jets can go from zero to 300 mph quickly, but super-jets can do this instantaneously. In this lesson, learn what that means for differentiability.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Mathematics (09): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTEL Math: Absolute Value & Integers
- MTEL Math: Fractions
- MTEL Math: Decimals
- MTEL Math: Percents
- MTEL Math: Rates & Ratios
- MTEL Math: Proportions
- MTEL Math: Estimation
- MTEL Math: Origins of Math
- MTEL Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- MTEL Math: Complex Numbers
- MTEL Math: Properties of Numbers
- MTEL Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTEL Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- MTEL Math: Scientific Notation
- MTEL Math: Number Theory
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Sequences
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Series
- MTEL Math: Properties of Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphing Functions
- MTEL Math: Factoring
- MTEL Math: The Coordinate Graph & Symmetry
- MTEL Math: Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Vectors, Matrices & Determinants
- MTEL Math: Introduction to Quadratics
- MTEL Math: Working with Quadratic Functions
- MTEL Math: Polynomial Functions Basics
- MTEL Math: Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions
- MTEL Math: Piecewise, Absolute Value & Step Functions
- MTEL Math: Rational Expressions, Functions & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTEL Math: Measurement
- MTEL Math: Perimeter & Area
- MTEL Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- MTEL Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- MTEL Math: Properties of Lines
- MTEL Math: Angles
- MTEL Math: Triangles
- MTEL Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- MTEL Math: Similar Polygons
- MTEL Math: The Pythagorean Theorem
- MTEL Math: Quadrilaterals
- MTEL Math: Circles
- MTEL Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement
- MTEL Math: Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections
- MTEL Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization
- MTEL Math: Transformations
- MTEL Math: Data & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Statistics
- MTEL Math: Data Collection
- MTEL Math: Samples & Populations
- MTEL Math: Probability
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphs of Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Identities
- MTEL Math: Applications of Trigonometry
- MTEL Math: Limits
- MTEL Math: Continuity
- MTEL Math: Derivative Calculations & Rules
- MTEL Math: Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule
- MTEL Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTEL Math: Integration Techniques
- MTEL Math: Integration Applications
- MTEL Math: Differential Equations
- MTEL Math: Discrete & Finite Math
- MTEL Mathematics Flashcards