About This Chapter
MTEL Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence - Chapter Summary
Before taking the MTEL Math exam, watch the lessons of this chapter to improve your understanding of geometric symmetry, similarity and congruence. In these lessons, our professional instructors demonstrate how to solve example problems so that you can follow along and improve your own mathematical skills and knowledge in the following areas:
- Understanding lines of symmetry in shapes
- Geometric congruence and similarity of shapes
- Properties of parallel, transverse and perpendicular lines
- Identifying the parallel lines of different geometric shapes
- Constructing and identifying perpendicular lines, and finding perpendicular lines in shapes
To reinforce your retention of the information presented in these lessons, read the transcripts and then test your understanding of the material by taking the quizzes. Review your quiz results to discover topics you don't understand and use the video tags to return to and study the parts of the lessons that explained them. After you have completed the lessons and quizzes of this chapter, test your understanding of geometric symmetry, similarity and congruence by taking the practice chapter exam before you sit for the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) Mathematics exam.
MTEL Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence Chapter Objectives
The MTEL Mathematics exam is a certification exam administered to future math teachers of Massachusetts to determine if they possess the mathematical skills and knowledge needed to teach math students. On test day, you will be asked a series of 100 multiple-choice questions and given two open-response items to complete, all in a four-hour testing session. Of the material presented on this exam, 19% will be covered by multiple-choice questions about geometry and measurement. Use this chapter to prepare for related questions about geometric symmetry, similarity and congruence.
1. What is a Line of Symmetry in Geometric Shapes?
After viewing this lesson, you should be able to identify shapes that have a line of symmetry in them and know how to find where this line is. A short quiz to test your knowledge will follow the lesson.
2. Congruence in Geometric Shapes
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can determine whether two shapes are congruent or not. You will learn what the one criterion is when determining congruency between two shapes.
3. Similarity in Geometric Shapes
View this lesson to learn how you can determine whether shapes are similar. Find out how to use the one rule that tells you when your two shapes are geometrically similar.
4. Parallel, Perpendicular and Transverse Lines
What are the different types of lines? Where are they visible in the real world and how can you recognize them? Find out here and test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Identifying Parallel Lines in Geometric Shapes
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can spot parallel lines in a rectangle, in a square, and in a parallelogram. You will learn how many pairs of parallel lines each of these shapes has.
6. Constructing Perpendicular Lines in Geometry
In this video lesson, you will see how to use geometric construction to draw perpendicular lines. Learn why geometric construction is useful. Also find out the only two tools in addition to your pencil that you need to do this.
7. Identifying Perpendicular Lines in Geometric Shapes
Do you know what a perpendicular line is? Do you know how to spot one in a geometric shape? This lesson will tell you how to spot perpendicular lines in squares, rectangles, triangles, and trapezoids.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Mathematics (09): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTEL Math: Absolute Value & Integers
- MTEL Math: Fractions
- MTEL Math: Decimals
- MTEL Math: Percents
- MTEL Math: Rates & Ratios
- MTEL Math: Proportions
- MTEL Math: Estimation
- MTEL Math: Origins of Math
- MTEL Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- MTEL Math: Complex Numbers
- MTEL Math: Properties of Numbers
- MTEL Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTEL Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- MTEL Math: Scientific Notation
- MTEL Math: Number Theory
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Sequences
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Series
- MTEL Math: Properties of Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphing Functions
- MTEL Math: Factoring
- MTEL Math: The Coordinate Graph & Symmetry
- MTEL Math: Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Vectors, Matrices & Determinants
- MTEL Math: Introduction to Quadratics
- MTEL Math: Working with Quadratic Functions
- MTEL Math: Polynomial Functions Basics
- MTEL Math: Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions
- MTEL Math: Piecewise, Absolute Value & Step Functions
- MTEL Math: Rational Expressions, Functions & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTEL Math: Measurement
- MTEL Math: Perimeter & Area
- MTEL Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- MTEL Math: Properties of Lines
- MTEL Math: Angles
- MTEL Math: Triangles
- MTEL Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- MTEL Math: Similar Polygons
- MTEL Math: The Pythagorean Theorem
- MTEL Math: Quadrilaterals
- MTEL Math: Circles
- MTEL Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement
- MTEL Math: Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections
- MTEL Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization
- MTEL Math: Transformations
- MTEL Math: Data & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Statistics
- MTEL Math: Data Collection
- MTEL Math: Samples & Populations
- MTEL Math: Probability
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphs of Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Identities
- MTEL Math: Applications of Trigonometry
- MTEL Math: Limits
- MTEL Math: Continuity
- MTEL Math: Rate of Change
- MTEL Math: Derivative Calculations & Rules
- MTEL Math: Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule
- MTEL Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTEL Math: Integration Techniques
- MTEL Math: Integration Applications
- MTEL Math: Differential Equations
- MTEL Math: Discrete & Finite Math
- MTEL Mathematics Flashcards