About This Chapter
MTEL Math: The Coordinate Graph & Symmetry - Chapter Summary
As you prepare to take the MTEL Math exam, it's good to feel comfortable in your ability to competently answer questions. This chapter refreshes your knowledge of the coordinate graph and symmetry, which boosts your confidence and enables you to:
- Define the number line
- Identify and describe different parts of a graph
- Plot points on a graph
- Share the meaning of ordered pairs, and identify and plot them on the coordinate plane
- Calculate the distance between two points
- Recognize symmetry algebraically, graphically and numerically about the origin and the X-axis, Y-axis
- Provide the definition of odd and even functions
Make studying fun and effective by watching videos that are filled with details and presented in a high-quality visual format. You can deepen your understanding of lesson concepts by reviewing full transcripts with easily identifiable vocabulary words.
MTEL Math: The Coordinate Graph & Symmetry Chapter Objectives
This chapter on the coordinate graph and symmetry prepares you for questions in the geometry and measurement subarea, which constitutes about 19% of the MTEL assessment. Use the lessons to gain greater insight into this subject, then assess your comprehension with short quizzes and a chapter exam. These steps can get you closer to your goal of earning a passing score of 240 on the exam.
In Massachusetts, educators are required to take MTEL Math to secure the licensure they need to teach math in classrooms. It consists of 100 multiple-choice questions and two open-response assignments that are divided into six subareas. The subject-matter test is taken on computer and lasts four hours with 15 minutes dedicated to a computer-based test (CBT) tutorial and nondisclosure agreement.
1. What Is a Number Line?
A number line is a visual representation of all real numbers. In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify points on a number line. We'll also practice addition and subtraction, letting the number line do all the hard work.
2. What Are the Different Parts of a Graph?
Being able to read a graph isn't just vital for an algebra class. Graphs and charts are used everywhere! We'll take a crash course on the basic x/y plane used in algebra and the fundamental vocab you need.
3. Plotting Points on the Coordinate Plane
If you'll be working with a graph, otherwise known as the coordinate plane, it's essential to understand how it works. This includes learning the parts of a graph, identifying points and plotting points.
4. Ordered Pairs on the Coordinate Plane
In this video lesson, you will see how points are plotted on the coordinate plane. Learn the proper way to identify points on the coordinate plane and how to read the points.
5. How to Find the Distance Between Two Points
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to find the distance between any two points on the coordinate plane. Learn what information you and how to plug them in to your formula.
6. Recognizing Symmetry Graphically, Algebraically, and Numerically About the X-axis and Y-axis
When you fold a piece of paper exactly in half, you are creating symmetry. Symmetry is found in many areas of mathematics. In this lesson, learn to recognize symmetry graphically, algebraically, and numerically about the x- and y- axes.
7. Recognizing Symmetry Graphically, Algebraically & Numerically About the Origin
If you look at flowers and fruits, you'll see that many of these items in nature are symmetrical. In this lesson, learn about symmetry about the origin of a graph. When you are finished, test your knowledge with a short quiz!
8. Even & Odd Functions: Definition & Examples
Even and odd functions are an aspect of line symmetry. You can use knowledge of even and odd functions to quickly identify equation symmetry. After this lesson, test your knowledge with a short quiz!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Mathematics (09): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTEL Math: Absolute Value & Integers
- MTEL Math: Fractions
- MTEL Math: Decimals
- MTEL Math: Percents
- MTEL Math: Rates & Ratios
- MTEL Math: Proportions
- MTEL Math: Estimation
- MTEL Math: Origins of Math
- MTEL Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- MTEL Math: Complex Numbers
- MTEL Math: Properties of Numbers
- MTEL Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTEL Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- MTEL Math: Scientific Notation
- MTEL Math: Number Theory
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Sequences
- MTEL Math: Number Patterns & Series
- MTEL Math: Properties of Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphing Functions
- MTEL Math: Factoring
- MTEL Math: Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- MTEL Math: Vectors, Matrices & Determinants
- MTEL Math: Introduction to Quadratics
- MTEL Math: Working with Quadratic Functions
- MTEL Math: Polynomial Functions Basics
- MTEL Math: Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions
- MTEL Math: Piecewise, Absolute Value & Step Functions
- MTEL Math: Rational Expressions, Functions & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTEL Math: Measurement
- MTEL Math: Perimeter & Area
- MTEL Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- MTEL Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- MTEL Math: Properties of Lines
- MTEL Math: Angles
- MTEL Math: Triangles
- MTEL Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- MTEL Math: Similar Polygons
- MTEL Math: The Pythagorean Theorem
- MTEL Math: Quadrilaterals
- MTEL Math: Circles
- MTEL Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement
- MTEL Math: Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections
- MTEL Math: Polar Coordinates & Parameterization
- MTEL Math: Transformations
- MTEL Math: Data & Graphs
- MTEL Math: Statistics
- MTEL Math: Data Collection
- MTEL Math: Samples & Populations
- MTEL Math: Probability
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Graphs of Trigonometric Functions
- MTEL Math: Trigonometric Identities
- MTEL Math: Applications of Trigonometry
- MTEL Math: Limits
- MTEL Math: Continuity
- MTEL Math: Rate of Change
- MTEL Math: Derivative Calculations & Rules
- MTEL Math: Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule
- MTEL Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTEL Math: Integration Techniques
- MTEL Math: Integration Applications
- MTEL Math: Differential Equations
- MTEL Math: Discrete & Finite Math
- MTEL Mathematics Flashcards