About This Chapter
MTEL Physics: Principles of Thermodynamics - Chapter Summary
Use our lessons and quizzes to review information about the principles of thermodynamics as you study for the MTEL Physics exam. You'll refresh your knowledge of topics related to heat and energy and be prepared for questions on the exam about:
- Converting between Kelvin and Celsius
- Diagrams showing changes in energy and heat
- Phase changes and heating curves
- Radiation and heat transfer
- The Stefan-Boltzmann law
- The second law of thermodynamics
Our expert instructors have designed these lessons and quizzes to equip you for success on test day. Armed with information about heat transfer, energy and entropy, you'll be prepared for questions on thermodynamics.
1. Temperature Units: Converting Between Kelvins and Celsius
Have you ever wondered what the lowest possible temperature is? In this lesson, you will learn what temperature measures. You will also be introduced to the Kelvin scale (an absolute scale) and learn how it relates to the Celsius scale.
2. Changes in Heat and Energy Diagrams
Did you know that temperature and heat are not the same thing? Did you know that the temperature of water doesn't change when it boils? This lesson describes the relationship between heat and temperature. Diagrams are used to illustrate the relationship between heat and temperature during phase changes.
3. Phase Changes and Heating Curves
Learn the phases - gas, liquid, solid and plasma. Learn what a phase diagram is and what terms describe the movement between phases: melting, sublimating, freezing, vaporization, condensation, and deposition. Discover why heating curves have plateaus, what a phase transition is, and what happens during this transition.
4. Radiation, Heat Transfer & the Stefan-Boltzmann Law
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain how radiative heat transfer works, give some real-life examples of radiation, and use the Stefan-Boltzmann Law to complete radiation calculations. A short quiz will follow.
5. Second Law of Thermodynamics: Entropy and Systems
In this lesson, we'll learn about the second law of thermodynamics. By studying this law, you'll understand how energy works and why we're all moving towards eventual chaos and disorder.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Physics: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Physics: Scientific Research Overview
- MTEL Physics: Interpreting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- MTEL Physics: Physics Lab Safety
- MTEL Physics: Historical & Contemporary Relationships in Science
- MTEL Physics: Force & the Laws of Motion
- MTEL Physics: Rotational Motion, Collisions & Conservation
- MTEL Physics: Laws of Gravitation
- MTEL Physics: Fluid Mechanics
- MTEL Physics: Work & Energy
- MTEL Physics: Linear & Angular Momentum
- MTEL Physics: Electrostatics
- MTEL Physics: Circuits
- MTEL Physics: Electromagnetism
- MTEL Physics: Oscillations & Wave Motion
- MTEL Physics: Sound Waves & Principles of Acoustics
- MTEL Physics: Electromagnetic Waves
- MTEL Physics: Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- MTEL Physics: Atomic Nature of Matter & Relativity
- MTEL Physics: Quantum Theory
- MTEL Physics: Radioactive Decay & Nuclear Reactions