About This Chapter
MTEL Reading Specialist: Alphabetic Principle - Chapter Summary
This chapter discusses the alphabetic principle and its role in helping children to develop reading skills. Study these online video lessons, and prepare to display your ability to teach the alphabetic principle when you take the MTEL Reading Specialist examination. Upon completion of the lessons, you should be well-prepared for questions about any of the following topics:
- Concepts of the alphabetic principle
- Letter identification instruction
- Kinds of vowels and consonants
- Spelling development stages
- The invented spelling process
Use this chapter's online lessons to ensure that you're ready for the MTEL Reading Specialist examination. Presented in an engaging video format, the lessons cover many of the topics you've studied previously as an aspiring reading instructor. Log into the website around the clock with your mobile device. In addition to self-assessment quizzes, the chapter includes a Dashboard area through which you can interactively submit your questions.
1. The Alphabetic Principle & Learning to Read
Learning to read can often be a complex process for children, especially bilingual and other language learners. How does the alphabetic principle come into play? This lesson will explain how all children use the principle to develop reading.
2. Teaching Letter Identification to Students
One important step in learning to read and write is learning letter names. How do teachers instruct letter identification? This lesson will describe where this skill fits into reading instruction, how to teach it, and why it matters.
3. Understanding Consonants, Vowels & Syllables: Types, Structure & Activities
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how vowels and consonants come together to form syllables. You will also learn how you can teach this part of our language to your students.
4. Stages of Spelling Development
Children don't start out knowing how to spell words. Instead, spelling (like many other skills) develops over time and with practice. Watch this lesson to find out more about the stages of spelling development that children go through.
5. The Processes of Scribbling & Invented Spelling
Children aren't born with the ability to spell like they are the ability to breathe or eat. In this lesson, we'll examine the processes of pre-spelling including how children move from scribbling to spelling through specific developmental steps.
6. The Spelling Development Process
The process of learning to spell can often be complicated and frustrating for students. With the right method of instruction and a solid understanding of the relationship between spelling and reading, spelling can be a breeze. Read on for details.
7. Alphabet Lessons for Kindergarten and Preschool
Teaching the alphabet is a large part of teaching preschool and kindergarten. This lesson will give you several activities you can use to teach this important skill to your students.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Reading Specialist (08): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Cognitive Foundations in Literacy
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Phonological Awareness
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Phonemic Awareness
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Language Acquisition
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Print Awareness
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Reading Fluency
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Word Analysis
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Vocabulary Development
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Analyzing Ideas
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Literary Genres
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Fiction
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Nonfiction
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Drama
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Poetry
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Literature for Children & Young Adults
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Literary Devices
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Expository Texts
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Emergent Literacy
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Teaching Reading Comprehension
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Literacy-Rich Environment
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Assessment Strategies
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Assessment Results
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Reading Disabilities
- MTEL Reading Specialist: English Language Learners
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Research-Based Instruction
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Reading Resources & Materials
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Attention & Memory
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Information Processing
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Research in Education
- MTEL Reading Specialist: The Reading Professional
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Programs & Approaches
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Partnerships & Collaborations
- MTEL Reading Specialist Flashcards