About This Chapter
MTEL Reading Specialist: Phonemic Awareness - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will have the opportunity to review phonemes and the role of phonological skills in child development for the MTEL Reading Specialist exam. The following topics will explained in these lessons:
- Phonemes and morphemes
- Phonological development
- Literacy development and phonological skills
- Phonological awareness skills and instructional strategies
You will be led through each lesson by an expert instructor and have the opportunity to skip to any point in the video by utilizing the timeline feature. After you view each video lesson, take the self-assessment quiz to determine how well you remember and comprehend the information you've reviewed.
MTEL Reading Specialist: Phonemic Awareness - Chapter Objectives
Taking the MTEL Reading Specialist exam is a vital step in the process of reading specialist licensure in Massachusetts. This test assesses your understanding of how to teach reading. You'll find that 32% of the total score focuses on reading processes and their development. One of the objectives in this content subarea is to demonstrate an understanding of phonological and phonemic awareness, which is the main subject of this chapter.
In this chapter, you will review the major aspects of phonemic awareness, which will help you prepare for any pertinent questions on this exam. Through carefully studying the lessons, making note of key terminology, and taking the self-assessment quizzes, you will strengthen your understanding of this topic and better enable yourself to correctly answer any phonemic related questions on the exam.
1. Phoneme: Definition, Segmentation & Examples
Phonemes are tiny units of sound in speech. When phonemes are combined, they can make up words. In this lesson, we will discuss what phonemes are, how to segment them in words and why they are important.
2. Phonological Development in Children: Stages & Overview
In this lesson you'll learn all about how children develop the ability to turn basic units of sound into actual language. We'll cover the major phonological skills and the stages of development. Following the lesson is a short quiz.
3. Morphemes: Examples, Definition & Types
The smallest recognized unit of meaning, morphemes function as the foundation of language. Explore this foundation through a full definition, discussion of types, and examples. Then, test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Development of Phonological and Phonemic Awareness Skills
Students learning to read need to be aware of sounds in speech. This lesson outlines these phonemic awareness skills and details age ranges for their development.
5. Instructional Strategies for Phonological Awareness
Phonological awareness is an important skill to learn young. This lesson will define this skill and show how to apply instructional strategies. We'll also highlight a few assessment techniques for phonological awareness skills.
6. Impact of Phonological Skills on Literacy Development
What skills must be developed for a child to learn to read? This lesson focuses on the impact of phonological awareness on literacy development and why even seemingly simple activities are so important.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Reading Specialist (08): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Cognitive Foundations in Literacy
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Phonological Awareness
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Language Acquisition
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Alphabetic Principle
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Print Awareness
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Reading Fluency
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Word Analysis
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Vocabulary Development
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Analyzing Ideas
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Literary Genres
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Fiction
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Nonfiction
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Drama
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Poetry
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Literature for Children & Young Adults
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Literary Devices
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Expository Texts
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Emergent Literacy
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Teaching Reading Comprehension
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Literacy-Rich Environment
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Assessment Strategies
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Assessment Results
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Reading Disabilities
- MTEL Reading Specialist: English Language Learners
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Research-Based Instruction
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Reading Resources & Materials
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Attention & Memory
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Information Processing
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Research in Education
- MTEL Reading Specialist: The Reading Professional
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Programs & Approaches
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Partnerships & Collaborations
- MTEL Reading Specialist Flashcards