About This Chapter
MTEL Speech: Using Communication Aids for Speeches - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will learn the values of utilizing visual aids in speeches. As part of your preparations for the MTEL Speech exam, these lessons will address the following:
- Purpose and types of visual aids in public speaking
- Preparing and using visual aids
- Pros and cons of using PowerPoint
- Tips for giving a speech with a PowerPoint presentation
- Copyright issues when using images and quotes in your PowerPoint presentation
As you view these brief video lessons, you have the option of skipping to any specific topic by utilizing the Timeline feature located underneath the videos. Additionally, you may consult the full transcript of the lessons to review the information at your own pace. At the end of each lesson, you may take a self-assessment quiz to determine how well you were able to process the information you reviewed.
MTEL Speech: Using Communication Aids for Speeches - Chapter Objectives
The MTEL Speech exam is meant to assess your knowledge of various aspects of speech to ascertain your candidacy for certification to teach speech in Massachusetts public schools. Forty percent of the exam focuses on questions pertaining to public speaking, including methods for delivering a speech effectively.
The content of these lessons should develop your understanding of different facets of utilizing visual aids and should help prepare you to answer any questions about this technique. Additionally, taking the lesson quizzes will let you practice answering questions in the same multiple-choice format as the MTEL Speech exam.
1. Visual Aids in Public Speaking: Importance, Purpose, and Audience Considerations
Giving a speech can be nerve-wracking, and it might seem easy to just skip the visual aids. In this lesson, we'll discuss why that's a bad idea, why visual aids are important, and what elements make a great visual aid.
2. Types of Visual Aids Used in Public Speaking
Many people understand that visual aids can be helpful in public speaking. But what types of visual aids should a person choose? Watch this lesson for information on the types of visual aids and how to choose the best one.
3. Preparing Visual Aids for a Speech: Guidelines & Tips
Visual aids can help make your speech engaging and memorable. But, how do you prepare your visual aids for maximum impact? Watch this lesson to find out how to design and structure effective visual aids for your presentation.
4. Using Visual Aids During Your Speech: Guidelines & Tips
Visual aids can help your speech or presentation be even more successful. There are some important considerations when planning to use visuals. Watch this lesson to find out what to do before and during your speech to make your visuals effective.
5. Using PowerPoint for a Speech: Pros & Cons
It seems like every class or speech has PowerPoint slides with it these days. But is that always the right answer? In this lesson, we'll examine the pros and cons of using slideware, like PowerPoint, during your speech or presentation.
6. Preparing to Deliver Your Speech with PowerPoint
After spending a lot of time making PowerPoint slides look good, many people forget that preparation is only the beginning. In this lesson, we'll look at tips for how to present a PowerPoint speech, including important slideshow commands.
7. Copyright and Fair Use: Implications for Public Speaking
Many people like to add images or quotes to help make their PowerPoint slides stronger. But what happens if the piece you want isn't yours? Watch this lesson for information on copyright issues for public speaking.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Speech (44): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTEL Speech: Theories of Rhetoric
- MTEL Speech: Principles of Rhetoric
- MTEL Speech: Principles of Argument & Debate
- MTEL Speech: Understanding Persuasive Communication
- MTEL Speech: Public Argument in Democratic Societies
- MTEL Speech: Public Discourse & Debate in the U.S.
- MTEL Speech: Notable Debates & Speeches in U.S. History
- MTEL Speech: Legalities & Free Speech
- MTEL Speech: Ethical & Legal Communications
- MTEL Speech: Public Speaking
- MTEL Speech: Organizing Your Speech
- MTEL Speech: Delivering Effective Speeches
- MTEL Speech Flashcards