About This Chapter
MTLE Basic Skills: Algebraic Patterns & Expressions - Chapter Summary
Gathering new information or reviewing material you already know about algebraic patterns and expressions for the MTLE Basic Skills exam is made possible with the lessons in this chapter. They are great for helping you go over:
- Solving mathematical patterns
- Expressing relationships in algebraic form
- Variables in algebra
- Simple algebraic expressions
- Simplifying addition, subtraction, multiplication and division expressions
- Order of operations for simplifying with parenthesis and exponents
- Commutative and associative properties
- The distributive property
- Combining like terms
You'll gain skills for solving problems that deal with expressions and mathematical patterns when you review the video lessons in this chapter. Each lesson is about five minutes long, so your attention span will not be affected. Take advantage of our self-assessment quizzes to see if the lesson content stuck. Thanks to this chapter, you will be fully prepared for any type of question on the MTLE Basic Skills exam.
1. Recognizing and Solving Mathematical Patterns
Patterns show up in the world around us on a daily basis. In this lesson, we will define mathematical patterns and look at recognizing and solving these patterns. We will examine examples to solidify our understanding of this process.
2. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
3. What is a Variable in Algebra?
Did you ever encounter something like a + b = c and wonder how all these letters snuck into a math problem? In this lesson, we'll learn about variables, as well as other parts of equations, constants and coefficients.
4. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
5. How to Simplify an Addition Expression
Learn how to simplify and combine like terms in any algebraic expression that uses addition with this lesson. Also learn how to follow the order of operations when simplifying your expression.
6. How to Simplify a Subtraction Expression
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to simplify any subtraction expression by combining like terms. Learn what to look for and how easy this is to do.
7. How to Simplify a Multiplication Expression
In this video lesson, you will learn how to simplify a multiplication expression that has both numbers and variables in it. Learn what you need to watch for and how to write your simplified expression.
8. How to Simplify a Division Expression
Watch this video lesson to learn how to simplify a division problem that has both numbers and letters in it. See what you need to do to get the correct answer. Also, learn what you can do to make your job easier.
9. How to Simplify an Expression with Parentheses & Exponents
Watch this video lesson to learn how important it is to follow the order of operations. Learn what to do when you see parentheses and exponents in your math problems.
10. The Commutative and Associative Properties and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is important and useful, but a few mathematical properties highlight cases where order doesn't matter. In this lesson, we'll learn about the commutative and associative properties, which may save you time and effort.
11. The Distributive Property and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is great. But sometimes we need to bend the rules to simplify an equation. Fortunately, the distributive property gives us a scenario in which this is okay. Learn all about it in this lesson.
12. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Basic Skills: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Basic Skills: Determining Word Meanings
- MTLE Basic Skills: Figurative Language
- MTLE Basic Skills: Increasing Vocabulary
- MTLE Basic Skills: Main Idea in Literature
- MTLE Basic Skills: Literary Purpose & Audience
- MTLE Basic Skills: Word Choice in Literature
- MTLE Basic Skills: Relationships Between Ideas in Writing
- MTLE Basic Skills: Analyzing Written Material
- MTLE Basic Skills: Summarizing & Interpreting Information
- MTLE Basic Skills: Presenting Ideas in Writing
- MTLE Basic Skills: Writing Mechanics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Spelling & Punctuation
- MTLE Basic Skills: Writing for Intent & Audience
- MTLE Basic Skills: Numbers
- MTLE Basic Skills: Operations With Integers
- MTLE Basic Skills: Fractions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Decimals
- MTLE Basic Skills: Percentages
- MTLE Basic Skills: Exponents
- MTLE Basic Skills: Solving Math Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Equations, Functions & Factoring
- MTLE Basic Skills: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Measurement, Units & Operations
- MTLE Basic Skills: Measurement, Shapes & Angles
- MTLE Basic Skills: Calculating Measurements Indirectly
- MTLE Basic Skills: Solving Measurement Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Principles of Geometry
- MTLE Basic Skills: Using Geometry to Solve Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Statistics & Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Probability
- MTLE Basic Skills: Applications of Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Problem Solving Strategies
- MTLE Basic Skills: Using Logic to Solve Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Mathematical Language & Connections
- MTLE Basic Skills Flashcards