About This Chapter
MTLE Basic Skills: Fractions- Chapter Summary
This chapter will offer you a great deal of information related to fractions and the rules to carry out math problems with fractions. The video lessons and quizzes will help you get ready for the MTLE Basic Skills exam. They cover the following topics listed below:
- Fraction types
- Comparing fractions
- Equivalent fractions
- Proper and improper fractions
- Building and reducing fractions
- Making mixed numbers into improper fractions
- Multiplying and dividing fractions and mixed numbers
- Estimation problems
When you study for your MTLE Basic Skills exam with us, you will be offered different resources that will help you prepare for this exam. The video lessons are organized in a beneficial way and they are taught by experienced instructors. In addition, there are self-assessing quizzes after each lesson to test you on what you have just reviewed and studied. This allows you to have immediate feedback on what your strengths and weaknesses are.
1. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also learn to identify the different types of fractions.
2. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
3. What are Equivalent Fractions? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review some fraction terminology and then learn what equivalent fractions are. Afterward, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
4. Proper Fractions: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will discuss just what makes proper fractions proper. We will see how they compare to improper fractions, as well as look at several examples.
5. What is an Improper Fraction? - Definition & Example
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of an improper fraction, as well as proper fractions and mixed fractions. You will be given examples of improper fractions to properly illustrate what they are.
6. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
7. How to Change Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions
When it comes to fractions in algebra, we hardly ever use mixed numbers. Instead, we opt for the ease of use of improper fractions. Watch this video lesson to learn how to change your mixed numbers to improper fractions.
8. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
9. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
10. Estimation Problems using Fractions
When working with fractions, estimating can save time and effort while getting you very close to the correct answer. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use estimation to quickly solve problems involving fractions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Basic Skills: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Basic Skills: Determining Word Meanings
- MTLE Basic Skills: Figurative Language
- MTLE Basic Skills: Increasing Vocabulary
- MTLE Basic Skills: Main Idea in Literature
- MTLE Basic Skills: Literary Purpose & Audience
- MTLE Basic Skills: Word Choice in Literature
- MTLE Basic Skills: Relationships Between Ideas in Writing
- MTLE Basic Skills: Analyzing Written Material
- MTLE Basic Skills: Summarizing & Interpreting Information
- MTLE Basic Skills: Presenting Ideas in Writing
- MTLE Basic Skills: Writing Mechanics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Spelling & Punctuation
- MTLE Basic Skills: Writing for Intent & Audience
- MTLE Basic Skills: Numbers
- MTLE Basic Skills: Operations With Integers
- MTLE Basic Skills: Decimals
- MTLE Basic Skills: Percentages
- MTLE Basic Skills: Exponents
- MTLE Basic Skills: Solving Math Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Algebraic Patterns & Expressions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Equations, Functions & Factoring
- MTLE Basic Skills: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Measurement, Units & Operations
- MTLE Basic Skills: Measurement, Shapes & Angles
- MTLE Basic Skills: Calculating Measurements Indirectly
- MTLE Basic Skills: Solving Measurement Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Principles of Geometry
- MTLE Basic Skills: Using Geometry to Solve Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Statistics & Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Probability
- MTLE Basic Skills: Applications of Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Problem Solving Strategies
- MTLE Basic Skills: Using Logic to Solve Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Mathematical Language & Connections
- MTLE Basic Skills Flashcards