About This Chapter
MTLE Basic Skills: Main Idea in Literature - Chapter Summary
You may use this chapter to help you study for the MTLE Basic Skills exam as it seeks to improve your knowledge of main ideas and how they are used in literature. These lessons will strengthen your grip on the following:
- Finding and interpreting the central idea or theme
- Defining implied main idea
- Interpreting a scene's main idea and purpose
- Pinpointing specific aspects in a reading
- Supporting details and their role in explaining a main point
- Identifying details that develop the main idea
After you view these brief video lessons, you may take their accompanying self-assessment quizzes to ascertain how well you understand what you've reviewed. As the quizzes and the cumulative chapter exam are in the same multiple-choice format as the exam, they will serve as practice for taking the exam itself.
1. How to Find the Theme or Central Idea
In this lesson, you'll learn how to identify the theme or central idea of a text, and you'll get some specific examples of themes from famous stories.
2. Interpreting a Poem's Main Idea & Theme
Many poems have both a main idea and a theme. In this lesson, you'll learn techniques for finding both in poetry by studying a sample poem. Afterward, you can test your understanding with a short quiz.
3. Implied Main Idea: Definition & Examples
What's the point? If you're having trouble answering this question, you might need to learn more about implied main ideas. This lesson gives a definition and examples, along with explanations on how to identify them!
4. Interpreting the Main Idea and Purpose of a Scene
Essays usually have a stated main idea, but it's not as obvious in a play. In this lesson, you'll learn a technique that will help you determine the main idea and purpose of a dramatic scene.
5. Finding Specific Details in a Reading Selection
Ever have trouble finding a specific detail in a reading selection? Often knowing the structure of the selection will help. This video lesson will give some strategies for finding specific details depending on selection structure.
6. Supporting Details: Definition & Examples
Find out what supporting details are and their role in essay writing. Learn the different ways to include supporting details, then take a quiz to test your new skills.
7. How to Explain the Main Point through Supporting Details
In this lesson, you'll learn how to identify the supporting details that explain the main idea being presented in a piece of literature. You will also learn different strategies that can be applied to future questions about the main idea.
8. Recognizing Details That Elaborate Upon a Main Idea
One of the most important tasks of reading, is determining the point of what is being read. This lesson will explain how to spot details that are related to the main idea, while also giving plenty of examples to help you out!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Basic Skills: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Basic Skills: Determining Word Meanings
- MTLE Basic Skills: Figurative Language
- MTLE Basic Skills: Increasing Vocabulary
- MTLE Basic Skills: Literary Purpose & Audience
- MTLE Basic Skills: Word Choice in Literature
- MTLE Basic Skills: Relationships Between Ideas in Writing
- MTLE Basic Skills: Analyzing Written Material
- MTLE Basic Skills: Summarizing & Interpreting Information
- MTLE Basic Skills: Presenting Ideas in Writing
- MTLE Basic Skills: Writing Mechanics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Spelling & Punctuation
- MTLE Basic Skills: Writing for Intent & Audience
- MTLE Basic Skills: Numbers
- MTLE Basic Skills: Operations With Integers
- MTLE Basic Skills: Fractions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Decimals
- MTLE Basic Skills: Percentages
- MTLE Basic Skills: Exponents
- MTLE Basic Skills: Solving Math Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Algebraic Patterns & Expressions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Equations, Functions & Factoring
- MTLE Basic Skills: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Measurement, Units & Operations
- MTLE Basic Skills: Measurement, Shapes & Angles
- MTLE Basic Skills: Calculating Measurements Indirectly
- MTLE Basic Skills: Solving Measurement Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Principles of Geometry
- MTLE Basic Skills: Using Geometry to Solve Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Statistics & Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Probability
- MTLE Basic Skills: Applications of Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Problem Solving Strategies
- MTLE Basic Skills: Using Logic to Solve Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Mathematical Language & Connections
- MTLE Basic Skills Flashcards