About This Chapter
MTLE Basic Skills: Measurement, Shapes & Angles - Chapter Summary
We designed the lessons in this chapter to help you quickly review concepts that will be addressed on the MTLE Basic Skills exam. Some of these include:
- Circumference and area of circles
- Finding the area of rectangles and triangles
- Calculating the surface area of a cube, cylinder, pyramid and rectangular prism
- Finding the volume of prisms, cylinders, pyramids, cones and spheres
- Geometric lines, angles and points
- Obtuse, acute, vertical and other kinds of angles
When you utilize our video lessons, you are giving yourself the chance to efficiently study for the MTLE Basic Skills test. Not only will you have fun throughout each lesson, but you will pick up useful strategies that can help you do well on the exam. You can even verify your understanding of the concepts in this chapter by going through our self-assessment quizzes.
1. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
2. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
3. How to Find Surface Area of a Cube and a Rectangular Prism
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the formula for the surface area of a rectangular prism. You will know what measurements you need to use it and how you can apply it to a cube as well.
4. How to Find Surface Area of a Cylinder
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula you can use to find the surface area of a cylinder. Learn the measurements that you'll need as well as how to use them.
5. How to Find Surface Area of a Pyramid
In this video lesson, we will learn how to take any pyramid, whether it's a pyramid in Egypt or a little toy pyramid, and calculate how much paint we will need to paint it. Learn the formula and what is behind it.
6. Volume of Prisms and Pyramids
In this lesson, we'll learn about prisms and pyramids. We'll look at the different types of prisms and pyramids, as well as practice calculating volume for each shape.
7. Volume of Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres
In this lesson, we'll learn about the volume formulas for cylinders, cones and spheres. We'll also practice using the formula in a variety of real-world examples where knowing how to calculate volume is helpful.
8. Combined Figures: Perimeter, Area, and Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can break up the shapes in a combined figure to easily find the perimeter, area, and volume of the whole figure.
9. Points, Lines & Angles in Geometry
After watching this video lesson, you should understand the basic terms that form the foundation of geometry. Learn what a point is, what a line is, what an angle is, and learn about a special type of angle called a right angle.
10. Types of Angles: Vertical, Corresponding, Alternate Interior & Others
In addition to basic right, acute, or obtuse angles, there are many other types of angles or angle relationships. In this lesson, we will learn to identify these angle relationships and discuss their measurements.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Basic Skills: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Basic Skills: Determining Word Meanings
- MTLE Basic Skills: Figurative Language
- MTLE Basic Skills: Increasing Vocabulary
- MTLE Basic Skills: Main Idea in Literature
- MTLE Basic Skills: Literary Purpose & Audience
- MTLE Basic Skills: Word Choice in Literature
- MTLE Basic Skills: Relationships Between Ideas in Writing
- MTLE Basic Skills: Analyzing Written Material
- MTLE Basic Skills: Summarizing & Interpreting Information
- MTLE Basic Skills: Presenting Ideas in Writing
- MTLE Basic Skills: Writing Mechanics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Spelling & Punctuation
- MTLE Basic Skills: Writing for Intent & Audience
- MTLE Basic Skills: Numbers
- MTLE Basic Skills: Operations With Integers
- MTLE Basic Skills: Fractions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Decimals
- MTLE Basic Skills: Percentages
- MTLE Basic Skills: Exponents
- MTLE Basic Skills: Solving Math Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Algebraic Patterns & Expressions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Equations, Functions & Factoring
- MTLE Basic Skills: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Measurement, Units & Operations
- MTLE Basic Skills: Calculating Measurements Indirectly
- MTLE Basic Skills: Solving Measurement Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Principles of Geometry
- MTLE Basic Skills: Using Geometry to Solve Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Statistics & Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Probability
- MTLE Basic Skills: Applications of Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Problem Solving Strategies
- MTLE Basic Skills: Using Logic to Solve Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Mathematical Language & Connections
- MTLE Basic Skills Flashcards