About This Chapter
MTLE Basic Skills: Relationships Between Ideas in Writing - Chapter Summary
Identifying and determining sequence of events, cause and effect, analyzing related or opposing texts and drawing conclusions are all vital skills that enhance the reader's ability to extract the message in a literary or informational text. As you work through these lessons, you will find the following information:
- Definition of structure and its effect on meaning
- Identification of cause and effect in a passage and event
- Recognition of steps or sequence of events
- Analysis of related or opposing texts
- How to draw conclusions from a passage
This study guide is designed to allow you to progress through the lessons and from component to component with ease and fluidity. You can jump from a quiz to the corresponding video by clicking on a link. Further, each video has a full written transcript, with key vocabulary highlighted in bold. All of the resources you need are as close as your mouse, and the dashboard feature enables you to keep everything organized.
1. What is Structure in Writing and How Does it Affect Meaning?
In this lesson, we will define the role of structure in literature. From there, we will look at the different ways to structure fiction and how it affects the meaning.
2. How to Find Cause and Effect in a Reading Selection
Cause and effect structures can be used to describe how an action takes place. This lesson will discuss how to find this structure within a reading selection.
3. How to Determine the Cause and Effect of an Event in a Passage
Recognize and understand how cause and effect relates to literature. Learn how to determine and find cause and effect in a reading passage, along with a strategy to assist you.
4. Determining the Sequence of Events or Steps in a Reading Selection
News articles or other types of informational texts can be structured through a sequence of events or steps. In this lesson, we will examine how that is done and how to identify this structure.
5. How to Analyze Two Texts Related by Theme or Topic
In this lesson, we will learn how to analyze two texts related by theme or topic. We will discuss how to analyze the texts individually and then how to synthesize their information.
6. How to Analyze Two Texts with Opposing Arguments
In this lesson, we'll discuss how to analyze two texts that present opposing arguments. We'll examine arguments based on varying evidence and on varying assumptions.
7. Drawing Conclusions from a Reading Selection
When someone drops hints, we're able to draw conclusions about what they're really trying to say. Similarly, as readers, we use clues to draw conclusions from texts. This lesson explains how to draw conclusions and how to teach this important skill.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Basic Skills: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Basic Skills: Determining Word Meanings
- MTLE Basic Skills: Figurative Language
- MTLE Basic Skills: Increasing Vocabulary
- MTLE Basic Skills: Main Idea in Literature
- MTLE Basic Skills: Literary Purpose & Audience
- MTLE Basic Skills: Word Choice in Literature
- MTLE Basic Skills: Analyzing Written Material
- MTLE Basic Skills: Summarizing & Interpreting Information
- MTLE Basic Skills: Presenting Ideas in Writing
- MTLE Basic Skills: Writing Mechanics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Spelling & Punctuation
- MTLE Basic Skills: Writing for Intent & Audience
- MTLE Basic Skills: Numbers
- MTLE Basic Skills: Operations With Integers
- MTLE Basic Skills: Fractions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Decimals
- MTLE Basic Skills: Percentages
- MTLE Basic Skills: Exponents
- MTLE Basic Skills: Solving Math Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Algebraic Patterns & Expressions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Equations, Functions & Factoring
- MTLE Basic Skills: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Measurement, Units & Operations
- MTLE Basic Skills: Measurement, Shapes & Angles
- MTLE Basic Skills: Calculating Measurements Indirectly
- MTLE Basic Skills: Solving Measurement Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Principles of Geometry
- MTLE Basic Skills: Using Geometry to Solve Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Statistics & Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Probability
- MTLE Basic Skills: Applications of Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Problem Solving Strategies
- MTLE Basic Skills: Using Logic to Solve Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Mathematical Language & Connections
- MTLE Basic Skills Flashcards