About This Chapter
MTLE Basic Skills: Statistics & Discrete Mathematics - Chapter Summary
Lessons in this chapter explore statistics and discrete mathematics, including measures of central tendency, using tables, and circle graphs. Histograms, frequency distributions, and percentile rank are also discussed. Learning about these topics can help you answer related questions on the MTLE Basic Skills exam. By the end of this chapter, you should be familiar with:
- Mode, median, mean and range
- Categorical data and circle graphs
- Histograms and frequency distributions
- Percentile rank
Short, engaging video lessons thoroughly explain each subject, and knowledgeable instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. Use the self-assessment quizzes to test your knowledge, or print them as worksheets to help you study. Visit your dashboard to track your progress through the course.
1. How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range
Measures of central tendency can provide valuable information about a set of data. In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set.
2. Summarizing Categorical Data using Tables
Watch this video lesson to find out why data tables are an excellent way to summarize your categorical data. Learn what you need to do to your data before constructing a table and the two ways you can show your data.
3. Circle Graph: Definition & Examples
A circle graph is a circular chart divided into sections that each represent a percentage of the total. This lesson will define a circle graph and give some examples of types of circle graphs.
4. Creating & Interpreting Histograms: Process & Examples
Creating histograms can help you easily identify and interpret data. This lesson will give you several examples to better understand histograms and how to create them.
5. Frequency Distributions: Definition & Types
This lesson explores the process of creating frequency distributions and histograms to give readers of your future scientific articles a numerical or visual way to understand the data you have presented.
6. Percentile Rank in Statistics: Definition & Formula
In this lesson, you will learn to define percentile rank and learn how it is calculated. Following this lesson, you will have the opportunity to test your knowledge with a short quiz.
7. Spread in Data Sets: Definition & Example
Identifying the spread in data sets is a very important part of statistics. You can do this several ways, but the most common methods are through range, interquartile range, and variance.
8. Creating & Interpreting Scatterplots: Process & Examples
Scatterplots are a great visual representation of two sets of data. In this lesson, you will learn how to interpret bivariate data to create scatterplots and understand the relationship between the two variables.
9. Reading & Interpreting Pictographs
Imagine reading chart after chart of the same dry information. Now imagine if that information could be presented with images and in only one chart. Much better, right? That's exactly what pictographs allow us to do.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Basic Skills: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Basic Skills: Determining Word Meanings
- MTLE Basic Skills: Figurative Language
- MTLE Basic Skills: Increasing Vocabulary
- MTLE Basic Skills: Main Idea in Literature
- MTLE Basic Skills: Literary Purpose & Audience
- MTLE Basic Skills: Word Choice in Literature
- MTLE Basic Skills: Relationships Between Ideas in Writing
- MTLE Basic Skills: Analyzing Written Material
- MTLE Basic Skills: Summarizing & Interpreting Information
- MTLE Basic Skills: Presenting Ideas in Writing
- MTLE Basic Skills: Writing Mechanics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Spelling & Punctuation
- MTLE Basic Skills: Writing for Intent & Audience
- MTLE Basic Skills: Numbers
- MTLE Basic Skills: Operations With Integers
- MTLE Basic Skills: Fractions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Decimals
- MTLE Basic Skills: Percentages
- MTLE Basic Skills: Exponents
- MTLE Basic Skills: Solving Math Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Algebraic Patterns & Expressions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Equations, Functions & Factoring
- MTLE Basic Skills: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Measurement, Units & Operations
- MTLE Basic Skills: Measurement, Shapes & Angles
- MTLE Basic Skills: Calculating Measurements Indirectly
- MTLE Basic Skills: Solving Measurement Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Principles of Geometry
- MTLE Basic Skills: Using Geometry to Solve Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Probability
- MTLE Basic Skills: Applications of Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Problem Solving Strategies
- MTLE Basic Skills: Using Logic to Solve Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Mathematical Language & Connections
- MTLE Basic Skills Flashcards