About This Chapter
MTLE Basic Skills: Using Geometry to Solve Problems - Chapter Summary
The purpose of going through the lessons in this chapter is to help you better your ability to solve problems using geometry. As you get ready to take the MTLE Basic Skills exam, there are all kinds of topics you will learn about or review. They include:
- The different parts of a graph
- The Cartesian coordinate system
- The midpoint formula
- Tangents and slopes on graphs
- Geometric proofs
- The distance formula
- Finding the slope of a line
- Geometric argument analysis techniques
In order to fully comprehend geometry-related material that will be on the exam, you need to go through each lesson. Along the way, take our self-assessment quizzes to make sure you are picking up the right strategies and recollecting enough information to do well on the test. If you struggle during a lesson, you can always get assistance from one of our instructors online. They can answer any math question you might have.
1. What Are the Different Parts of a Graph?
Being able to read a graph isn't just vital for an algebra class. Graphs and charts are used everywhere! We'll take a crash course on the basic x/y plane used in algebra and the fundamental vocab you need.
2. The Cartesian Coordinate System: Plotting Points & Graphing Lines
Watch this video lesson to see how useful the Cartesian coordinate system is. Learn how points are labeled and how you can plot points and graph lines using the system.
3. How to Use The Midpoint Formula
The formula for the midpoint of a line segment will tell you how to find the middle of any line segment on the x, y plane. Learn about this formula and see how it is used to find the midpoint of a line segment.
4. Slopes and Tangents on a Graph
Hit the slopes and learn how the steepness of a line is calculated. Calculate the slopes between points and draw the tangents of curves on graphs in this lesson.
5. Geometric Proofs: Definition and Format
Do you have something to prove? Can you explain why? In this lesson, we'll learn all about geometric proofs, including the parts that comprise a proof.
6. How to Use The Distance Formula
You can't always rely on your smartphone to tell you how far you need to travel to get from point A to point B. The distance formula will tell you the distance between any two points on a graph. In this lesson, you'll learn where it comes from and how to use it!
7. Calculating the Slope of a Line: Point-Slope Form, Slope-Intercept Form & More
Being able to calculate the slope of a line is a very useful skill to have. Why? Watch this video lesson to find out and learn how to find the slope when working with various equations and various lines.
8. Geometric Proofs for Polygons
Watch this video lesson to learn why it is important for you to learn how to do formal proofs in geometry. Also learn how to set up a proof and how to successfully execute one.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Basic Skills: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Basic Skills: Determining Word Meanings
- MTLE Basic Skills: Figurative Language
- MTLE Basic Skills: Increasing Vocabulary
- MTLE Basic Skills: Main Idea in Literature
- MTLE Basic Skills: Literary Purpose & Audience
- MTLE Basic Skills: Word Choice in Literature
- MTLE Basic Skills: Relationships Between Ideas in Writing
- MTLE Basic Skills: Analyzing Written Material
- MTLE Basic Skills: Summarizing & Interpreting Information
- MTLE Basic Skills: Presenting Ideas in Writing
- MTLE Basic Skills: Writing Mechanics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Spelling & Punctuation
- MTLE Basic Skills: Writing for Intent & Audience
- MTLE Basic Skills: Numbers
- MTLE Basic Skills: Operations With Integers
- MTLE Basic Skills: Fractions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Decimals
- MTLE Basic Skills: Percentages
- MTLE Basic Skills: Exponents
- MTLE Basic Skills: Solving Math Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Algebraic Patterns & Expressions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Equations, Functions & Factoring
- MTLE Basic Skills: Linear & Nonlinear Functions
- MTLE Basic Skills: Measurement, Units & Operations
- MTLE Basic Skills: Measurement, Shapes & Angles
- MTLE Basic Skills: Calculating Measurements Indirectly
- MTLE Basic Skills: Solving Measurement Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Principles of Geometry
- MTLE Basic Skills: Statistics & Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Probability
- MTLE Basic Skills: Applications of Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Basic Skills: Problem Solving Strategies
- MTLE Basic Skills: Using Logic to Solve Problems
- MTLE Basic Skills: Mathematical Language & Connections
- MTLE Basic Skills Flashcards