About This Chapter
MTLE Business: Information Technology and Communications - Chapter Summary
Prior to sitting for the MTLE Business examination for teacher certification, use this chapter to brush up on the fundamentals of information technology and communications and their importance in the business arena. Review the definitions of terms such as information privacy and upward and downward communication. You may also explore the impact of technology on modern culture as you prepare to answer examination questions. Revisiting these and other topics could help you to:
- Identify the effects of information technology on the economy and personal privacy
- Explore impacts of the information revolution
- Explain the importance of organizational and interpersonal communication
- List the advantages and disadvantages of upward communication
- Identify different kinds of oral communication
- Understand speech styles
- Review how to use PowerPoint to present a speech
- Compare listening and hearing
- List different kinds of written business communication
- Describe the components that make up a telecommunications system
These lessons help reinforce the above concepts so that they'll be fresh in your mind when you answer related questions on the MTLE Business examination. Consisting of videos, transcripts and quizzes, the chapter is designed to let you study at your own pace. Utilize your mobile technology to access the lessons at your convenience. You also have the option of submitting questions to the instructors and pausing the lessons to allow for greater absorption of the material.
MTLE Business: Information Technology and Communications Chapter Objectives
The computer-administered MTLE Business examination consists of two subtests, each of which have 50 multiple-choice questions and a one-hour time limit. A passing score of 240 is also required on each test. The Business Technology and Communications area of Subtest 2 includes questions on topics that were covered throughout this chapter; this area makes up about 29% of the weighted score for that subtest. After watching these videos, use the corresponding quizzes to help display your expertise as you work towards a business teaching certification in Minnesota.
1. Information Technology: Impact on the Economy
2. Impact of Technology on Privacy
Technology has a number of social and ethical implications that cause debate and concern. One specific issue is privacy. Information technology has opened up society and decreased privacy. This lesson will explore a number of privacy issues that are of concern, including electronic surveillance, availability of personal information, cookies and spyware, and workplace monitoring.
3. How Technology Impacts Culture in the Global Age
In this lesson, you will explore the impacts of modern technology on the development of global culture and discover what this may mean for us. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Organizational Communication
If you've ever had a job, you likely understand that there are different ways to communicate with colleagues and employers. This lesson describes the role of organizational communication in the workplace while defining terms such as downward, upward, horizontal and informal communication.
5. Interpersonal Skills in the Workplace: Examples and Importance
The ability to communicate within an organization depends heavily upon people's interpersonal skills. These are the tools people use to interact and communicate with individuals in an organizational environment.
6. Oral Communication: Definition, Types & Advantages
Oral communication is the process of expressing information or ideas by word of mouth. Learn more about the types and benefits of oral communication, and find out how you can improve your own oral communication abilities.
7. The Style of a Speech: Speaker, Audience & Purpose
When writing a speech, a writer should consider the speaker, audience and purpose of the speech. Each factor influences the overall style of the speech.
8. Preparing to Deliver Your Speech with PowerPoint
After spending a lot of time making PowerPoint slides look good, many people forget that preparation is only the beginning. In this lesson, we'll look at tips for how to present a PowerPoint speech, including important slideshow commands.
9. Hearing vs. Listening: Importance of Listening Skills for Speakers
While often used synonymously, hearing and listening are really two very different things. Hearing is involuntary and uncontrollable. Listening, however, requires an attention.
10. What Is Written Communication in Business? - Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, we'll discuss what written communication is and some advantages and disadvantages of using it. We'll also discuss the skills you'll need to become an effective writer.
11. The Components of a Telecommunications System
Telecommunication is communication at a distance using electrical signals or electromagnetic waves. Learn about the components and properties of telecommunication systems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Business: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Business: Organizations & Management
- MTLE Business: Human Resources Management
- MTLE Business: Employment Laws
- MTLE Business: Group Skills & Behavior
- MTLE Business: Market Share & Financial Data
- MTLE Business: Commercial Transactions
- MTLE Business: Finance, Accounting & Information Analysis
- MTLE Business: Data Interpretation & Management
- MTLE Business: Taxation & Financial Calculations
- MTLE Business: Principles of Marketing
- MTLE Business: Product Development & Distribution
- MTLE Business: Court Systems & Government Regulations
- MTLE Business: Microeconomics & Macroeconomics
- MTLE Business: International Business
- MTLE Business: Using Information Systems
- MTLE Business: Career Development
- MTLE Business: Content Comprehension for Students
- MTLE Business: Reading Instruction Strategies
- MTLE Business Flashcards