About This Chapter
MTLE Chemistry: Liquids & Solids - Chapter Summary
This chapter is the perfect thing for those looking to buff up on their understanding of key topics associated with liquids and solids in chemistry to prepare for related MTLE Chemistry test items. Studiers can expect to exit this chapter with improved knowledge of:
- The kinetic molecular theory
- Phase diagrams
- Phase change
- Heat of vaporization and heat of fusion
- Phase diagrams of water
- Different phase changes
Additional study help can be received by taking the practice quizzes, which will let you verify your comprehension of the material while familiarizing yourself with the types of questions that will be on the exam. If you're more of an offline studier, you can also print these quizzes as worksheets to review later.
1. The Kinetic Molecular Theory: Properties of Solids and Liquids
This lesson explores the kinetic molecular theory and how it pertains to the properties of solids and liquids. You'll learn the properties of solids and liquids, discover the types of intermolecular attractions that occur between them and gain an understanding how phase changes happen.
2. Phase Diagrams: Critical Point, Triple Point and Phase Equilibrium Boundaries
Learn what a phase diagram is and how to interpret phase diagrams. Discover how to use a phase diagram to locate the phase equilibrium boundaries. Also, learn what a triple point and critical point are and how to locate them on a phase diagram.
3. Phase Change: Evaporation, Condensation, Freezing, Melting, Sublimation & Deposition
Substances on Earth can exist in one of four phases, but mostly, they exist in one of three: solid, liquid or gas. Learn the six changes of phase: freezing, melting, condensation, vaporization, sublimation and deposition.
4. Heat of Fusion & Heat of Vaporization: Definitions & Equations
When a substance changes states, like from a solid to a liquid, a lot is happening. This lesson will examine the heat of fusion and the heat of vaporization. It will also explain both formulas.
5. Phase Diagram of Water vs Other Substances: Differences & Meaning
Phase diagrams give scientists specific information about how phase changes occur at different pressures and temperatures. This lesson examines phase diagrams, focusing on water and how it's a little different from most other substances.
6. Phase Changes and Heating Curves
Learn the phases - gas, liquid, solid and plasma. Learn what a phase diagram is and what terms describe the movement between phases: melting, sublimating, freezing, vaporization, condensation, and deposition. Discover why heating curves have plateaus, what a phase transition is, and what happens during this transition.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Chemistry: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Chemistry: Nature of Science
- MTLE Chemistry: Using Math & Computers
- MTLE Chemistry: Atomic Structure
- MTLE Chemistry: Properties of Matter
- MTLE Chemistry: Stoichiometry & Chemical Equations
- MTLE Chemistry: Thermodynamics
- MTLE Chemistry: Gases
- MTLE Chemistry: Solutions in Chemistry
- MTLE Chemistry: Chemical Bonding
- MTLE Chemistry: Inorganic & Organic Compounds
- MTLE Chemistry: Chemical Reactions
- MTLE Chemistry: Chemical Equilibrium
- MTLE Chemistry: Acids & Bases
- MTLE Chemistry: Redox Reactions & Electrochemistry
- MTLE Chemistry Flashcards