About This Chapter
MTLE Chemistry: Redox Reactions & Electrochemistry - Chapter Summary
By using the study materials included in this chapter, you will be better-prepared for the MTLE Chemistry exam. This chapter's video lessons and quizzes will evaluate your understanding of redox reactions and electrochemistry. The lessons will cover the following:
- The assigning of oxidation numbers
- The balancing of redox reactions
- The identification of oxidizing and reducing agents
- Activity series
- Electrochemical cells
- Cathode and anode reactions
Whether you prefer to study on your computer or a mobile device such as a tablet, you can trust our website to meet your study needs. You will have the convenience and flexibility to study wherever you want and at any time. Some of our resources can even be printed so you can study offline where you do not have access to reliable Internet connection. This will ultimately enhance your study experience and better prepare you for the MTLE Chemistry exam.
1. Assigning Oxidation Numbers to Elements in a Chemical Formula
Learn the importance of oxidation in chemical reactions. Discover the rules for assigning oxidation numbers in both covalent compounds and ionic compounds. Learn how to assign the oxidation number for each element in a chemical formula.
2. Balancing Redox Reactions and Identifying Oxidizing and Reducing Agents
Learn how to identify an oxidizing agent and a reducing agent and how the loss or gain of electrons applies to each one. Learn the relationship between an oxidized or reduced substance and the oxidizing or reducing agent associated with it. Discover what steps to take to balance a redox reaction.
3. The Activity Series: Predicting Products of Single Displacement Reactions
Discover what a single replacement reaction is and how to identify it. Learn what chemical activity is, how that applies to an activity series table and how to predict the product of a single replacement reaction by referring to the activity series.
4. Electrochemical Cells and Electrochemistry
Learn to identify the parts of and be able to describe an electrochemical cell, including the electrolyte, electrodes, anodes, and cathodes. Learn how to make a homemade lemon battery and how to diagram an electrochemical cell that will light a light bulb.
5. Cathode and Anode Half-Cell Reactions
Learn how to write electrode half-reactions for cathodes and anodes. Discover how to calculate cell voltage potential when given a table of standard electrode potentials. Learn how to prevent corrosion using redox concepts and how to protect metal by cathodic protection.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Chemistry: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Chemistry: Nature of Science
- MTLE Chemistry: Scientific Literacy & Instruction
- MTLE Chemistry: Using Math & Computers
- MTLE Chemistry: Atomic Structure
- MTLE Chemistry: Properties of Matter
- MTLE Chemistry: Stoichiometry & Chemical Equations
- MTLE Chemistry: Thermodynamics
- MTLE Chemistry: Gases
- MTLE Chemistry: Liquids & Solids
- MTLE Chemistry: Solutions in Chemistry
- MTLE Chemistry: Chemical Bonding
- MTLE Chemistry: Inorganic & Organic Compounds
- MTLE Chemistry: Chemical Reactions
- MTLE Chemistry: Chemical Equilibrium
- MTLE Chemistry: Acids & Bases
- MTLE Chemistry Flashcards