About This Chapter
MTLE Chemistry: Solutions in Chemistry - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides everything you'll need to review for the part of the MTLE Chemistry exam that deals with chemical solutions, with lessons that let you go step-by-step through a variety of key topics, including:
- The rate of dissolution
- Nonelectrolytes, electrolytes and solutions
- Solubility and solubility curves
- The solubility of common salts and gases in a liquid
- Molarity and molality concentration
- Dilution of solutions
- Raoult's law and colligative properties
- How colligative properties are used to determine molar mass
The practice quizzes at the end of each lesson make for a great way to check your understanding of the material and familiarize yourself with the sort of questions you'll be encountering on the exam. These quizzes can also be printed as worksheets if you'd like to use them for offline studying.
1. The Rate of Dissolution: Factors and Definition
Learn what dissolution is and the factors that affect the rate of dissolution, such as temperature, surface area, polarity and pressure. Learn what miscible and immiscible mean in regards to liquids.
2. Solutions, Electrolytes and Nonelectrolytes
Learn what a solution is and how it is formed. Learn how to express the concentration of a solution in terms of molarity, molality and mass percent. Discover the differences between an electrolyte and a nonelectrolyte.
3. Solubility and Solubility Curves
Learn what solubility is as well as the definitions of 'saturated,' 'unsaturated' and 'supersaturated.' Learn how to determine the solubility of a substance in water by using a solubility curve. Discover the effects of pressure and temperature on the solubility of liquids, solids and gases.
4. Solubility of Common Salts: Predicting Reaction Outcomes
Ever wondered why some salts dissolve in water and others don't? In this lesson you will learn about some simple salt solubility rules. Using these rules, you will be able to predict the products of many chemical reactions.
5. Calculating Molarity and Molality Concentration
Learn the abbreviations and meaning of molarity and molality. Then apply what you have learned by going over some sample calculations with given concentrations.
6. Calculating Dilution of Solutions
Learn what a solution is and how to properly dilute a new solution from a stock solution. Learn the dilution equation that combines molarity, the volume of stock solution and desired solution to determine how much stock solution is needed for the new solution.
7. Colligative Properties and Raoult's Law
Learn how vapor pressure and osmotic pressure are colligative properties. Learn Raoult's Law and how to use it to determine the vapor pressure of a solution. Learn the equation for determining osmotic pressure and how to use it to determine the molar mass of a substance.
8. Using Colligative Properties to Determine Molar Mass
In this lesson, we will explore the effect of colligative properties on a solution. We will learn how to calculate freezing point depression and see how it can be used to calculate the molar mass of an unknown substance.
9. The Solubility of Gases in a Liquid
In this video lesson, you will learn what solubility is and the factors that affect gas solubility. We will use real-life examples to illustrate the importance of understanding solubility. A quick quiz will then test our new knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Chemistry: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Chemistry: Nature of Science
- MTLE Chemistry: Using Math & Computers
- MTLE Chemistry: Atomic Structure
- MTLE Chemistry: Properties of Matter
- MTLE Chemistry: Stoichiometry & Chemical Equations
- MTLE Chemistry: Thermodynamics
- MTLE Chemistry: Gases
- MTLE Chemistry: Liquids & Solids
- MTLE Chemistry: Chemical Bonding
- MTLE Chemistry: Inorganic & Organic Compounds
- MTLE Chemistry: Chemical Reactions
- MTLE Chemistry: Chemical Equilibrium
- MTLE Chemistry: Acids & Bases
- MTLE Chemistry: Redox Reactions & Electrochemistry
- MTLE Chemistry Flashcards