About This Chapter
MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Reading Development - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons explore reading development, including phonemes, teaching phonics, and understanding consonants, vowels and syllables. It also offers a review of spelling and word patterns, affixes and roots, and print awareness. After completing these lessons, you should be ready for MTLE Comunication Arts/Literature questions on topics including:
- Phonemic awareness
- Prefixes, suffixes and root words
- Using affixes and roots to find the meaning of words
- Understanding words by their relationships
- Development of print awareness and concepts
- Factors that influence reading fluency
Our expert instructors lead you through short, engaging lessons that you can review as your schedule allows. Complete the multiple-choice self-assessment quizzes to test your knowledge or print them as worksheets for offline study. The dashboard lets you keep track of your progress through the lessons and quizzes.
1. Phoneme: Definition, Segmentation & Examples
Phonemes are tiny units of sound in speech. When phonemes are combined, they can make up words. In this lesson, we will discuss what phonemes are, how to segment them in words and why they are important.
2. Phonemic & Phonological Awareness: Definitions & Activities
Phonics, phonemic awareness, and phonological awareness may all sound really similar, but they are all different yet important skills required for successful reading. Watch this lesson to find out about each one and how to develop them.
3. Teaching Phonics in the Classroom
In this lesson, you will work toward being able to explain phonics as a teaching method, understanding the connection between phonics and phonological awareness, and understanding some activities and strategies to help with teaching phonics.
4. Understanding Consonants, Vowels & Syllables: Types, Structure & Activities
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how vowels and consonants come together to form syllables. You will also learn how you can teach this part of our language to your students.
5. Spelling & Word Patterns: Prefixes, Suffixes & Root Words
How do we form words in our language? What gives them definitions? Watch this video lesson to discover how word parts like prefixes, suffixes and root words make up words and affect their meanings.
6. Using Affixes and Roots to Find the Meaning of Words
In this lesson, we will learn how to understand the meaning of words by breaking them down into the parts that form them. This requires knowledge of the Greek and Latin roots, and affixes, which are parts we add to roots to make new words.
7. Understanding Words By Their Relationships
Many words in the English language have multiple meanings. To really understand a word, we have to understand the relationship between particular words. In this lesson, we will examine this through connotations, denotations, synonyms, and analogies.
8. Development of Print Awareness & Concepts
One of the very first steps in the reading process is print awareness. This lesson defines print awareness and gives some hints on how to use lap reading to develop an understanding of print directionality, spacing, and the alphabetic principle.
9. Factors That Influence Reading Fluency
Many things go into making a good reader, from word recognition to fluency. How does fluency factor in? This lesson defines and outlines the components of a fluent reader and shows how fluency changes in different situations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Media Literacy
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Media Presentations
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Reading Comprehension
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Reading Instruction
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Informational & Persuasive Texts
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Technical & Functional Texts
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Forms of Fiction & Nonfiction
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Forms of Literary Drama
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Forms of Poetry
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: World Literature Characteristics
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Influences of World Literature
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Effective Listening
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Effective Speaking
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Effective Interpersonal Communication
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Grammar & Writing Conventions
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: The Writing Process
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Conducting Research
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Modes of Writing
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature Flashcards