About This Chapter
MTLE Early Childhood Education: Mathematics Instruction - Chapter Summary
Our expert instructors present lessons on the mathematical development in early childhood to help you get ready for the MTLE Early Childhood Education exam. Watch a video on teaching numeration and see how to teach algebra and geometry concepts in early childhood. After completing all the lessons in this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss developmentally appropriate math instruction
- Outline the development of numeracy skills in children
- Explain how to teach data analysis concepts in early childhood
- Summarize strategies to differentiate math instruction
- Identify math assessment strategies in early childhood
Our engaging lessons are available online at any time. Video lessons come with timeline tags that let you easily go back and re-watch key points of the lesson. Transcripts are also available for you to review if you prefer a text-based learning option. Utilize the the dashboard to track your progress through this chapter and the entire course.
1. Developmentally Appropriate Math Instruction
In this lesson, we will learn developmentally appropriate ways to incorporate math instruction into your classroom. We will learn what it means to be developmentally appropriate, and then provide some effective learning strategies to make this possible in early childhood learning.
2. Mathematical Development in Children
Read this lesson, and you'll be surprised at how quickly little children learn about math and how it applies to their little world. You'll learn what to look for at each age.
3. The Development of Numeracy Skills in Children
Numeracy is mathematical literacy. Its development and internalization in students is essential to students' success in school and beyond, but there are factors that can affect students' development of this critical skillset.
4. Teaching Numeration & Number Sense to Children
Number sense relies on background knowledge that is built up over time. Learn more about how to build a connection between numeration and number sense when teaching children at the elementary level.
5. Teaching Algebra & Geometry Concepts in Early Childhood
Teaching algebra and geometry can be a fun and exciting experience at the elementary level. This lesson covers the strategies, methods, and daily schedule to teach young students these math concepts.
6. Teaching Data Analysis Concepts in Early Childhood
Young children are able to understand and analyze data, and they can even get excited about what data will teach them. This lesson gives you many ideas about how you can teach data analysis concepts in early childhood.
7. How to Differentiate Math Instruction
In today's diverse classrooms, teachers must differentiate their math instruction in order to meet the needs of a variety of learners. This lesson will explain the main principles of and strategies that support the differentiated math classroom.
8. Mathematics Assessment Strategies in Early Childhood
Math isn't just a school topic; it's actually a skill that children begin learning about soon after they begin talking. Learn what assessment strategies you can use to see how well your children are grasping their early math skills in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Early Childhood Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Language & Literacy
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Phonics & Fluency
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Print Awareness
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Vocabulary
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Reading Comprehension
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Text Analysis
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Writing Conventions
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Instructional Strategies
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Cognitive Development
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Social Development
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Physical Development
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Creative Development
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Science Instruction
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Social Studies Instruction
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Arts Instruction
- MTLE Early Childhood Education Flashcards