About This Chapter
MTLE Earth & Space Science: Astronomical Bodies & Processes
The Astronomical Bodies & Processes chapter will help you review different star types, planetary attributes, galaxy formations and other topics. Our expert instructors will help you:
- Identify star types according to size, color and life cycle
- Name and list characteristics of the inner planets, outer planets and dwarf planets
- Understand galaxy formation and their different types
- Understand black hole life cycles
- Remember facts regarding the sun's structure
Our unique study guide means that you'll be able to learn about astronomical bodies with a curriculum made specifically with the MTLE Earth & Space Science examination in mind. The chapter's video lessons are not just taught by scientific experts, but are easy to navigate and feature accurate transcripts. Plus, with our self-assessment quizzes at the end of each lesson, you can focus on the topics you're struggling with and learn at your own pace.
1. Types of Stars by Size, Color and Life Cycle
Learn to identify the different sizes and colors of stars and how they relate to the star life cycle. In this lesson, we'll talk about spectral classification, how many stars there are of each type and the approximate color of the different classes of stars.
2. Inner Planets of the Solar System: Mercury, Venus, Earth & Mars
Take a tour of the four inner planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars. Known as the terrestrial planets, find out what makes each of them unique and how they are different from the outer planets, the gas giants.
3. Outer Planets of the Solar System: Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune
Take a tour of the outer planets of our solar system: Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. Find out what makes each of these gas giants unique and learn about Pluto, a dwarf planet.
4. Dwarf Planets of the Solar System: Pluto, Eris, Haumea & Ceres
Discover why Pluto had to leave the league of planets and was downgraded to a dwarf planet. Learn the definitions for planet and dwarf planet. Find out about the currently classified dwarf planets in our solar system: Pluto, Eris, Ceres, Haumea and Makemake.
5. Galaxy Formation: Spiral, Elliptical & Irregular Galaxies
This lesson explains how galaxies form, starting with the Big Bang. You'll also learn about the solar nebula hypothesis and three galaxy types, including spiral, elliptical, and irregular galaxies.
6. Life Cycle of Black Holes
Learn about black holes, their myths and their reality. Learn how black holes form after stars undergo supernovae and create singularities. Discover how big black holes grow, how scientists find black holes and where black holes are located in the universe.
7. Structure of the Sun
Discover the layers of the sun, including the core, radiative zone, convective zone, photosphere, chromosphere, and corona. Find out which layers you can see from Earth. Investigate what sunspots and solar flares are.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Earth & Space Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Basics of Geology
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Careers & Applications
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Math & Technology
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: History of Earth
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Spheres & Structure
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Minerals & Rocks
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Plate Tectonics
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Measuring Geological Time
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Processes of Earth's Surface
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Hydrosphere
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Oceans & Coastal Processes
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Freshwater Systems
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Weather & Storms
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Climate
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Thermodynamics
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Energy Forms & Resources
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Humans & the Environment
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: The Universe
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: The Solar System
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: The Sun, Moon & Earth
- MTLE Earth & Space Science Flashcards